Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Preston's Affirmative Case

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Preston's Affirmative Case Empty
PostSubject: Preston's Affirmative Case   Preston's Affirmative Case EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 11:28 pm

This is not the most recent version look on the forum page again to find draft two. Originally I didn't know that I could just edit my case. Surprised

Hello my name is Preston Rodeniser and today it is my pleasure to taking the affirmative side in today’s debate. First I would like to thank the judges, timer and my opponent for being here today.
My value for this debate will be morality which I believe is very important value to uphold. My reason is that through morality other values may be achieved. I also feel that Idealism upholds morality better than Pragmatism. And for these reasons I stand firmly resolved that we should affirm the resolution which states: When in conflict idealism ought to be valued above pragmatism.
I will now define some of the main terms for this debate round.
The word Idealism as defined by the Cambridge Dictionary of American English is: A striving to achieve one’s ideals.

This brings me to my next definition, ideal, which is found in the Encarta World English Dictionary. It is defined as: A standard or principle to which people aspire.

My definition of morality can be found in the Cambridge Dictionary of American English as: a personal or social set of standards for good or bad behavior and character, or the quality of being right and honest. The word pragmatism as defined in the Cambridge Dictionary of American English as: Dealing with a problem in a realistic way rather than obeying fixed theories, ideas or rules. In other words a pragmatist is inconsistent, which brings me to my first contention.

C1-Idealism is consistent whereas Pragmatism is inconsistent

To understand this contention we must understand the meaning of the word consistent. Consistent is defined as: holding always to the same principles or practice (New World College Dictionary) and obviously inconsistent is the opposite.
Everyone has a set of morals. These morals are what help us decide what is right and wrong. And as a pragmatist you are not able to fulfill your morals in every choice you make because, even if you have a set of morals, you do not always obey them.
I would like to take a moment to illustrate my point. Imagine that there is a missionary trying to convert some people in a foreign country. The country in which he is staying is very hostile towards Christianity. One evening as the missionary is teaching a group of locals, a police squad breaks into the home where they are and arrests the missionary. After the police are finished questioning the evangelist, they tell him to never preach again.
The missionary now has a choice. Should he continue to do what is morally right in his eyes and preach to the locals? Or should he return to his home until it is safe enough to return? A pragmatist would retreat to the safety of his home and not and disregard his ideal of evangelism. Whereas an idealist would continue to strive towards his ideals.
The Pragmatic view is inconsistent because, like the missionary, in different situations different choices will be taken according to what works the best. With an Idealist approach no matter what the consequences you will stick to your morals and ideals.
C2-Pragmatism is inconsistent and is therefore immoral

If a person is inconsistent then he or she does not always choose to follow his or her own morals and is therefore obviously immoral. So is it with the Pragmatist. The exact opposite can be said about the Idealist. The Idealist, who is consistent, chooses the same path no matter what the situation in order to uphold their morals. Notice that I am not claiming that idealists are without fault. I am simply stating that an Idealist follows his or her morals to a closer degree.
I want you to remember the situation that I spoke of earlier. In which the evangelist must choose whether to take the Pragmatic approach or the Idealistic approach. The pragmatic approach is to choose what seems best without consulting your morals. Without consulting your morals when making choices you choose not to be moral.
If many of the choices made by a Pragmatist are immoral then Pragmatism does not uphold my value of morality.

I would like to finish off by restating my contentions.

In my first contention I explained that Pragmatism can be inconsistent because when using a Pragmatist mindset choices are sometimes made without consulting your own morals. I further stated that Idealism is much more consistent in following morals because, Idealism uses its morals in order to make choices.
My final contention stated that by being inconsistent, Pragmatism is also immoral. I once again mentioned the evangelist and showed that by not choosing to follow consider your morals when making decisions you become immoral.
I believe that through my two points I have shown that Idealism, compared to Pragmatism, better upholds my value of morality which in turn helps us to achieve other important values.

Hey if you have any comments please post I'm definately still an amatuer. And (I don't know if this is allowed) if you think of a contention that goes with my value and other contentions please let me know!! Any help is appreciated!!!! Very Happy

God Bless
Swimmer Dude

Last edited by PandKRod on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

PostSubject: Just a few comments until I get a chance to come back.   Preston's Affirmative Case EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 12:16 am

I just responded to your question about definitions and now realize after reading your case that I need to clarify a few additional things.

Quote :
The word Idealism as defined by the Cambridge Dictionary of American English is: A striving to achieve one’s ideals.

This brings me to my next definition, ideal, which is found in the Encarta World English Dictionary. It is defined as: A standard or principle to which people aspire.

Since time is of the essence, I would suggest that you find a definition of Idealism that stands alone and doesn't need further definition of a word. (ie ideal) Even if you don't find that perfect definition I still think it would be fine to not further define the word "ideal" because this is a pretty common generally understood term.

Quote :
Consistent is defined as: holding always to the same principles or practice (New World College Dictionary) and obviously inconsistent is the opposite.

With regard to this definition I don't think it really helps your case. Since it's not key to the resolution and it's a common and pretty easy to understand term. (not much debate over what consistent means) I don't think you need to define it.

Lets say this... you need to choose your battles when it comes to definitions. Identify the key terms that could be debated and define them. All other words (unless they are words that aren't commonly used or easily understood by the average American citizen) don't need to be defined.
Back to top Go down
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

PostSubject: a few wording suggestions   Preston's Affirmative Case EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 2:38 pm

Quote :
In other words a pragmatist is inconsistent, which brings me to my first contention.

This statement jumps the gun a bit... I suggest that you take it out and simply say... My first contention or argument to support my case is.....

• idealism is more consistent in achieving morality than pragmatism. (slight word change here)

• Since pragmatism is inconsistent it can lead to immorality

With both these suggestion I want to caution you as a new debater to avoid the traps of saying:
Obviously,
Always,
Never
Sometimes these words aren't even said, but they are implied with the word "IS"
If you imply that something is always, or is never or simply just is! Then you need to be able to back it up with a very solid example/ examples and make sure there are no exceptions. Emphatic statements provide the fodder for your opponent to jump on! (Gotcha!)

Now I want you to take a minute and think out what your opponent is going to say about your application lesson below: Remember our goal is to strengthen ourselves against our opponents attacks before he has a chance to make them...

Quote :
I would like to take a moment to illustrate my point. Imagine that there is a missionary trying to convert some people in a foreign country. The country in which he is staying is very hostile towards Christianity. One evening as the missionary is teaching a group of locals, a police squad breaks into the home where they are and arrests the missionary. After the police are finished questioning the evangelist, they tell him to never preach again.
The missionary now has a choice. Should he continue to do what is morally right in his eyes and preach to the locals? Or should he return to his home until it is safe enough to return? A pragmatist would retreat to the safety of his home and not and disregard his ideal of evangelism. Whereas an idealist would continue to strive towards his ideals.

If you were a negative debater what would be some quick questions you might ask to target the weakness of this argument?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preston's Affirmative Case   Preston's Affirmative Case Empty

Back to top Go down

Preston's Affirmative Case
Page 1 of 1