Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

James's Affirmative case

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
flyboymonkey
Admin
flyboymonkey

Number of posts : 42
Humor : much and many
Registration date : 2007-11-28

James's Affirmative case Empty
PostSubject: James's Affirmative case   James's Affirmative case EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 12:26 pm

“Sometimes people call me an idealist. Well, that is the way I know I am an American. America is the only idealistic nation in the world.” This quote comes from former president Woodrow T. Wilson.

Good afternoon my name is James Apple and I will be the affirmative speaker for the following debate round. I would like to thank the judge, timer and the negative
speaker for being here today. My value for this round will be wisdom and for the purpose of upholding my value I stand resolved. that pragmatism
will cause horrible long term results. In this case I will demonstrate that my value of wisdom dictates that we affirm the resolution.

In order to provide clarity and mutual understanding in today’s debate round, I will define some of the key terms that are found within the resolution and that I will be using extensively throughout the following round.
First of all, Idealism is defined by Webster’s dictionary as the practice of forming ideals and living under their influence. Above is defined by Webster’s dictionary as a higher rank or number. Pragmatism is defined by Webster’s dictionary we a practical approach to problems and conflict is defined by Webster’s as a Contention, strife or contest.

Value and Criterion:
My value for this round, Wisdom, is the highest value in the hierarchy of values because wisdom is necessary to make wise long term decisions.

BURDENS:
In today’s debate round, I, the affirmative speaker, have the privilege of affirming the resolution, which states in times of conflict idealism should be valued above pragmatism. I must affirm the resolution through my three contentions for the purpose of achieving my value of wisdom. If I fulfill my burdens, I should be granted the win.

THESIS STATEMENT:
My thesis statement is that pragmatisms long term result can be horrible

CONTENTION 1:
My first contention is that action without thought of long term consequences will make us do things that will end in only pain and suffering for ourselves and our country. An example of which is the Ford Pinto. Released September 11th, 1970 the pinto was nicknamed by ford “the carefree car” had a fatal flaw The gas tank was in the back of the car behind the axel which means that whenever this car had a rear end collision the car would explode . Ford knew about this flaw but decided that it would be easier to let the car go into production… after all there aren’t that many rear end collisions.. Right? So to Ford with their pragmatic view thought that the consequence seemed to far away or miniscule to do anything but in the end many peoples lives were lost and ford was sued for over $125 million dollars and almost drove this huge company out of business.

CONTENTION 2:
If we accept policies of pragmatism we will act the way that seems best at that particular moment. An example of which is the current economic crisis. We are taking pragmatic actions such as investing public funds in private institutions with unknown consequences that we would never have considered doing in years gone by. It seems as though as a nation we seem willing to give up our liberties and principals we were founded on at every turn you’re in a crisis. Or another example is the pragmatic decision by our government to give mortgages to people that would be unable to repay them was good in the short term but has now come back to bite us badly.

REITERATION
I, the affirmative speaker, have the privilege of negating the resolution and being in favor of the idealistic way. Throughout my contentions, I have argued 2 main points.

CLOSING QUOTE:
I would like to close with a quote from Olive Wendell Holmes, who once proclaimed, “Man is born a predestined idealist, for he is born to act. To act is to affirm the worth of an end, and to persist in affirming the worth of an end is to make an ideal.”

VOTING ISSUES:
Thank you. I have fulfilled my burden and affirmed the resolution. I now respectfully urge the judge to affirm the resolution. Thank you and I now stand ready for cross-examination and further points of clarification.
Back to top Go down
https://speech.forumotion.net
James C.

James C.

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: James's Affirmative case   James's Affirmative case EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 2:53 pm

What's up James? Let me ask you some questions.

Would you say that it is wise to not make practical desicions?

Do you think making exploding cars was a very practical decision by Ford?

Would you say it was very practical to lend money to people who couldn't pay it back? Isn't that working toward the ideal of caring for the poor?
Back to top Go down
flyboymonkey
Admin
flyboymonkey

Number of posts : 42
Humor : much and many
Registration date : 2007-11-28

PostSubject: Re: James's Affirmative case   James's Affirmative case EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 3:32 pm

Sometimes.

yes, It saved them alot of money in the short term which they thought was practical

"It is better to teach a man to fish than to give him a fish" It was practical to save the government time and just give him the house. An idealist way of thinking would have the man work toward that goal.
Back to top Go down
https://speech.forumotion.net
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

PostSubject: a few suggestions   James's Affirmative case EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 4:50 am

Quote :
“Sometimes people call me an idealist. Well, that is the way I know I am an American. America is the only idealistic nation in the world.” This quote comes from former president Woodrow T. Wilson.

James to prevent confusion.. I would like you to start your affirmative by saying... In 1917, President Woodrow Wilson was quoted as saying...."Sometimes people call me an idealist, Well that is the way I know.....

Quote :
My value for this round will be wisdom and for the purpose of upholding my value I stand resolved. that pragmatism
will cause horrible long term results. In this case I will demonstrate that my value of wisdom dictates that we affirm the resolution.

I would like you to work on this "Thesis" statement... I think you'd be safer to simply make the resolution your thesis... vrs. making such an attack able and negative statement as... Pragmatism will cause horrible long term results. The other suggestion would be to find a way to state your thesis in a positive way... or you could simply state: responding to conflict with pragmatic action doesn't always lead to positive results.

think about this.. when ever you say something will do something unequivocally then you are setting yourself against one solid exception to the rule. This would give your opponent the edge. When ever a statement has the "air" of always or "never" a good debate opponent perks his/her ears up and provides the exception.

Quote :
My first contention is that action without thought of long term consequences will make us do things that will end in only pain and suffering for ourselves and our country.

Lets simplify this contention: Action without thought of long term consequences brings bad results.

Quote :
If we accept policies of pragmatism we will act the way that seems best at that particular moment. An example of which is the current economic crisis.

I think what you are trying to say here is: Pragmatic actions are often relative and don't always reflect what is best.

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE your closing quote! People need to keep that in their reserves for when time allows!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James's Affirmative case   James's Affirmative case Empty

Back to top Go down

James's Affirmative case
Page 1 of 1