Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

a few general comments on affirmative cases

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

a few general comments on affirmative cases Empty
PostSubject: a few general comments on affirmative cases   a few general comments on affirmative cases EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 3:46 pm

Hello All, Congratulations on writing your very first affirmative case. I have read through them and I'm preparing my lesson for tomorrow to include general suggestions for improvement. PLEASE BE SURE TO BRING YOUR AFFIRMATIVE CASES And your Cross X questions TO CLASS ON WEDNESDAY!
Here are a few brief comments highlighting a few of the things I plan to address.

1. When choosing a value, try to find a value that people value at ALL times! If you give a value that can be used for good sometimes but bad at other times then you must be prepared to concede this value to your opponent.

2. Choose one value and build your case around this single value. Having more than one value will confuse your judge and your opponent. Advanced debate theory does allow experienced debaters to utilize Value Systems/ Value Paradigms however I would prefer that we keep our beginning debates focused around single values. This will improve the clarity and organization of your constructive cases.

3. With regard to definitions: You are not required to give the source of your definition in your constructive case, however it is POLITE to do so. I suggest that you find a simple/ concise way to do this. For example: All my definitions are found in Webster's on line dictionary. Obviously if you've found a killer definition in an academic source, that defines a key term more succinctly or more in line with your case theory, then you should give this source credit. Doing so further strengthens your case by showing that you have researched definitions above and beyond the dictionary. For example, Joe Shmoe from the Instititute of Governmental Legitimacy defines a legitimate governement as: Yada yada yada....."
If you are sticking with dictionary definitions and you are running short on time, you do not need to give the source for each and every definition; however you will need to be prepared to give this source if your opponent asks for them on Cross X.

4. Do work on developing short concise tag lines for your key points. It is great to have your key points directly tied, in someway to your value. It is also helpful to your judge to have an opportunity to repeat these tag lines, either in the context of your contention or in the final conclusion.

You have all done a great job of getting your first case written. Always remember there is no such thing as a PERFECT CASE. It's the process of debating that will improve your case and your ability to debate.
Back to top Go down
Bethany

Bethany

Number of posts : 80
Humor : hmmm.....Mrs. Gray Perhaps...
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Re: a few general comments on affirmative cases   a few general comments on affirmative cases EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 9:18 am

I apparently used three dictionaries for my aff. case. Should I change some to match the other dictionaries? Say, American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language...
Back to top Go down
Mark Compton

Mark Compton

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: a few general comments on affirmative cases   a few general comments on affirmative cases EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 11:19 am

What Cross X questions are we supposed to bring to class?
Back to top Go down
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

PostSubject: Answer re Cross X questions   a few general comments on affirmative cases EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Mark, Bring a collection of questions that you might ask an affirmative debater that serve to do any of the following things:

Clarify:
Verify:
Support Your Negative Case:
Attack the Affirmative Case:

If you think about potential cross x questions in advance that could be used to lead your opponent down the path of agreeing with your negative case, you will be ahead of the game. Many new debaters make the mistake of trying to think of questions on the spot after they hear their opponents AC. This doesn't work and will actually back fire because unprepared questions tend to be ones that simply ask for clarification/ verification on something your opponent said. This will allow your opponent to further take the time to build his case on the stand.
Since you have the opportunity to read through many of the affirmative cases on this forum you have more time to write up some "trickier" questions that focus more on poking holes in your opponents case and building a foundation for your negative case.

Many of the questions that have been asked on this forum have been pretty good targeted questions. You are welcome to "borrow" them if they help your negative case.

We'll talk more in class on how to more effectively use the cross x time.

Hang IN THERE!
Back to top Go down
meredith

meredith

Number of posts : 32
Humor : Ha Ha Ha!

PostSubject: Re: a few general comments on affirmative cases   a few general comments on affirmative cases EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 1:24 pm

How do we make CX questions??
I've tried as hard as I could but I can't think of any. pale
Meredith
Back to top Go down
Mark Compton

Mark Compton

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: a few general comments on affirmative cases   a few general comments on affirmative cases EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Should we choose a case that someoine posted on the forum and attack that?
Back to top Go down
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

PostSubject: Answer after the fact   a few general comments on affirmative cases EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 am

Hopefully our discussion in class helped to clarify these question. If you are still having difficulty please let me know.
Thanks
Mrs. Gray
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a few general comments on affirmative cases   a few general comments on affirmative cases Empty

Back to top Go down

a few general comments on affirmative cases
Page 1 of 1