Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
AshleyEaton

AshleyEaton

Number of posts : 50
Humor : Anything witty or fun or silly (not super picky)
Registration date : 2010-08-24

Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! Empty
PostSubject: Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!!   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 5:19 pm

Intro: John Adams in his Thoughts on Government wrote, “Government is instituted for the common good; for the protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness of the people; therefore, the people alone have an incontestable right to institute government; and to reform, alter, or totally change the same, when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it.” It is for this reason that I stand resolved that: a government’s legitimacy is determined more by its respect for popular sovereignty than individual rights. Hi, my name is Ashley Eaton and I will be your Affirmative speaker for today’s debate round.

Definitions:
Popular Sovereignty: a doctrine in political theory that government is created by and subject to the will of the people (Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, 11th Edition)
Government: The form or system of rule by which a state, community, etc. is governed (dictionary.com)
Legitimacy: the quality of being legal or acceptable
Individual: a single person or thing, especially when compared to the group or set to which they belong (Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)
Right: a justified claim or entitlement, or the freedom to do something (Encarta world English Dictionary, North American Edition)

Value Analysis:
This resolution asks me to determine if popular sovereignty is more important than individual rights in assessing the legitimacy of a government. Governments are tasked with the responsibility to protect the rights of the most citizens of the country possible. So, the Common Good is my value for this debate round. The common good is defined as, General, Having moral qualities best adapted to its design and use, or the qualities which God's law require (Merriam Webster 1828 words defined separately)

Criterion
In order to achieve common good we must use a liberal democracy. This is why I have chosen liberal democracy as my criterion (way to get to the value). It is basically a democracy where the people elect others to represent them. It gives citizens the power to elect representatives to create or turn down any piece of legislation works.

C1: Liberal democracy achieves The common good
American citizens cherish the freedom inherent in a liberal democracy. The common good is achieved in this country. The citizens vote for representatives and senators to represent their ideals in Congress. The elected person’s job is to represent the people. If the majority are content with the way that things are going, the official will be reelected to office. This process ensures that people who will do a good job representing the majority’s views will be in power.

C2: A governments’ focus should be to achieve the common good
When an elected government focuses on the majority of its citizens, the result is the common good. As, Jimmy Carter put it, “It is difficult for the common good to prevail against the concentration of those who have a special interest, especially if the decisions are made behind locked doors”. When governments decide to appease the rights of every individual in its country it inevitably ends up with innumerable special interest groups each wanting to promote their own cause. If the government listens, then they will end up with people pushing for and getting some crazy laws that will appease a minority but will in no way benefit the majority. The United States Senate, wrote an essay on their website describing various things lobbyists and special interest groups do, but they also included a list of non-beneficial things special interest groups do, “Another problem is that special interest groups often wield an influence that is greatly out of proportion to their representation in the general population.” An example of this is the gay movement it isn’t proportional to the population yes they wield great influence. A government’s role is to benefit the most people and to represent the views of the majority who elected them to office.

C3: A governments’ respecting Popular Sovereignty does not negate its respecting people’s individual rights.
What is being said here is that governments should value popular sovereignty over individual rights. If the majority of the population wants a portion of their rights temporarily taken away to have something accomplished for them, should the government say no to this? Should it do something other than what the people who elected them into office want? This is a way to ensure you won’t be reelected. If the government focuses on the common good of its citizens then popular sovereignty must be respected.

Conclusion:
In this Affirmative constructive I hope to have shown how popular sovereignty is a better way to determine a governments legitimacy than is individuals rights. This view was demonstrated through my contentions.
C1: Liberal democracy achieves The common good
C2: A governments’ focus should be to achieve the common good
C3: A governments’ respecting Popular Sovereignty does not negate its respecting people’s individual rights.

In closing, I would like to offer this quote by Abraham Lincoln, “Democracy is the government of the people, by the people, for the people.” Thank you and I urge an Affirmative ballot.

Last edited by AshleyEaton on Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Christian Di Lorenzo
Christian Di Lorenzo

Number of posts : 91
Humor : Impromptu
Registration date : 2009-11-04

PostSubject: Cross-X Question   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 5:25 pm

Does popular sovereignty always uphold even basic individual rights, such as the right to privacy?
Back to top Go down
AshleyEaton

AshleyEaton

PostSubject: reply   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Where did I say popular sovereingty ALWAYS upholds individual rights?
Back to top Go down
Christian Di Lorenzo
Christian Di Lorenzo

PostSubject: Cross Examination   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 5:34 pm

So, does it uphold a basic right such as the right to privacy, or not? (Please answer yes or no.)
Back to top Go down
AshleyEaton

AshleyEaton

PostSubject: reply   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 5:51 pm

No, popular sovereignty does NOT ALWAYS uphold individual rights.
Back to top Go down
Christian Di Lorenzo
Christian Di Lorenzo

PostSubject: Cross-X Question   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 5:55 pm

In history has popular sovereignty always acheived the common good?
Back to top Go down
AshleyEaton

AshleyEaton

PostSubject: reply   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 6:04 pm

Not always but more often it hs than individual rights
Back to top Go down
Christian Di Lorenzo
Christian Di Lorenzo

PostSubject: Cross-X Questions   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 6:11 pm

1. Do people agree on some individual rights?
  2. Do you think that a person should be murdered, if it was for the common good?
Back to top Go down
AshleyEaton

AshleyEaton

PostSubject: reply   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 6:25 pm

I don't believe that there are any individual rights that are universally agreed on.

please give an example when someone was murdered, and it benefitted the general populous
Back to top Go down
Christian Di Lorenzo
Christian Di Lorenzo

PostSubject: Cross Examination   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 6:31 pm

Should you murder me because then there would be more unity?

BTW this is cross-x time and I was stating a theoretical question
Back to top Go down
AshleyEaton

AshleyEaton

PostSubject: reply   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 6:42 pm

I don't believe that killing someone ever achieves the common good. Unless the person has committed a serious crime. In that case though, it's justice.
Back to top Go down
Christian Di Lorenzo
Christian Di Lorenzo

PostSubject: Mistake   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 6:45 pm

Sorry, I posted that question in the wrong category.
Back to top Go down
Alex4JC

Alex4JC

Number of posts : 69
Humor : I love a good joke
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!!   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 11:47 pm

Do you believe that killing someone or imprisoning then is okay as long as it is for the common good?

if you need an example... just think of terrorists... the ones who haven't killed themselves yet...
Back to top Go down
AshleyEaton

AshleyEaton

PostSubject: reply   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 6:26 pm

yes, I agree with that. I honestly don't believe there is anything wrong with punishing someone if they've broken that law
Back to top Go down
Alex4JC

Alex4JC

Number of posts : 69
Humor : I love a good joke

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!!   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 7:55 pm

What if that individual has not done anything wrong according to the law? Remeber, we are not talking about the United States government only, this applies to ALL governments.
Back to top Go down
AshleyEaton

AshleyEaton

PostSubject: reply   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 9:22 pm

I'm confused how does imprisoning an innocent person acheive the common good?
Back to top Go down
Christian Di Lorenzo
Christian Di Lorenzo

PostSubject: Clarification   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 9:34 pm

I think he means, "Is it ok for an innocent person to be put in jail for example if it achieves the common good?"
Back to top Go down
AshleyEaton

AshleyEaton

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!!   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 12:03 am

Christian Di Lorenzo wrote:
I think he means, "Is it ok for an innocent person to be put in jail for example if it achieves the common good?"

I understand that, I just don't understand how the common good is achieved through imprisonment.
Back to top Go down
Mark Compton

Mark Compton

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!!   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 10:52 am

Quote :
I understand that, I just don't understand how the common good is achieved through imprisonment.

They're just presenting you with a situation. Saying IF imprisonment could achieve the common good, is it ok?
Back to top Go down
AshleyEaton

AshleyEaton

PostSubject: reply   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Mark Compton wrote:
Quote :

They're just presenting you with a situation. Saying IF imprisonment could achieve the common good, is it ok?

sure i guess. i think. sorry i'm really sickk so i'm having a hard time thinking straight. but I'll go with yes.
Back to top Go down
Nathan W.

Nathan W.

Number of posts : 57
Humor : Tearing apart Christian's case ..uh..I mean..
Registration date : 2010-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!!   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 12:14 pm

In cross x you said popular sovereignty achieves the common good more then individual rights. Can you give me an example of where that happened?
Back to top Go down
Christian Di Lorenzo
Christian Di Lorenzo

PostSubject: ASDF   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 12:22 pm

That may be something to include in a neg case because otherwise, she'll take all of your time.
Back to top Go down
AshleyEaton

AshleyEaton

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!!   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 1:43 pm

Nathan: The Magna Carta, King John was not looking out for the common good and usurping power for himself. So, the citizen's of England banded together and made King John sign it. The Magna Carta limited King John's powers and gave the citizens under him more freedom. In this case popular sovereignty was the means that achieved the common good, not individual rights.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!!   Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Ashley Eaton's Affirmative Case!!!
Page 1 of 1