Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Morgan's Affirmative

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Morgan's Affirmative Empty
PostSubject: Morgan's Affirmative   Morgan's Affirmative EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 8:10 am

Les brown Once said "shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll land in the stars" this quote illustrates why idealism ought to be valued above Pragmatism, because it tries to achieve goals as effectively as possible.

Good afternoon I am Morgan Sipe and I will be the affirmative speaker for this debate round. Good afternoon, my name is Morgan Sipe and I will be the affirmative speaker for this debate round. My value for this round will be progress and for the purpose of upholding my value I stand, resolved that when in conflict idealism ought to be valued above Pragmatism. In this case I will demonstrate how my value of progress dictates that we affirm the resolution.

In order to provide mutual clarity and understanding in this debate round I will define some of the key terms that I will use through out the round. .(Webster’s) Idealism is defined as behavior or thought based on a conception of things as one thinks they should be. Ideals are a conception of things in their most excellent form.Pragmatism is defined (Encarta World dictionary) as a straightforward practical way of thinking about things or dealing with problems, concerned with results rather than with theories and principles.

My value for this round: Progress is defined as an improvement or moving forward as to an objective or goal. Progress must be valued in order for values and goals to be achieved. Idealism allows progress to achieve goals more effectively.

First Contention: Idealism starts a goal so why shouldn't the ideals guide the progress to a goal

As idealism creates a goal it should guide it through the process of achieving that goal because Idealism will stay true to the Ideal and therefore end up with a more complete goal.Say that there is a rich merchant and he outfits a ship to go sailing for gold would the merchant controlling the ship get closer to the gold or would the sailors.The Merchant would,he formed the ideal and because of that he will achieve it better.Idealism achieves goals more completely than pragmatism. Let me again illustrate this point by giving you an analogy. A captain of a ship uses a compass to help him arrive at his chosen destination.If he does not follow the compass 100% of the time,he will end up hundreds of miles off target. Idealism is like a compass that allows us to reach our destination more efficiently. By following ideals we end up closer to our goals. Since Idealism follows goals more faithfully than Pragmatism it more completely fulfills the end goal. This brings me to my second contention.

Second Contention: My second contention is Idealism progresses more completely than Pragmatism and as such Idealism should be valued above Pragmatism.

The purpose of any action is the goal and since ideals are the things that start goals they will complete them more effectively.
Homeschooling is a great example of this; When Parents choose to home school those Parents devote themselves to teaching their children and take on many burdens because of it. They do all of the things they do be they know that the Idealist result will yield a better end than the Pragmatic one. Homeschooling is in no way pragmatic, think of all the other things Homeschooling parents could be doing instead of Homeschooling. They could be working, cleaning up the house or any number of different opportunities, but because they are homeschooling the end result will have fulfilled the goal of an education better than the practical way. This leads me to my third contention

Third Contention: My third contention is Progress with Idealism is a more complete reflection of the goal. Progress with Pragmatism however may be nothing near the goal.

Communism in Russia is an excellent event to explain my point.When the Soviet Union was formed it was based on A system of government in which the state plans and controls the economy and a single,authoritarian party holds power, claiming to make progress toward a higher social order in which all goods are equally shared by the people. Now according to Communism everyone is equal;why therefore did the leaders of the Soviets live in wealth and prosperity while the people suffered?The reason is that Leaders are required and it is an inherent fact that leaders will generally have more than the common folk,but having leaders did not reflect the ideals of Communism because it was a practical "pragmatic" organization that was necessary for The Soviet Union to survive but because of this they never truly reached their goal of Equality because the pragmatic way does not reflect the end goal as completely as Idealism will. If Idealism had been followed everyone be equal and therefore reflected their end goal of "equality".

Last edited by MorganSipe on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Morgan's Affirmative   Morgan's Affirmative EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 10:11 am

Hey it's Preston,

Quote :
Idealism starts a goal so why shouldn't the ideals guide the progress to a goal
Be careful when you say this because some people are going to say that Pragmatism is part of Idealism and is therefore also a way to get to the goal

C2 - You might want to shorten up this tag line
Quote :
Second Contention: My second contention is Idealism progresses more completely than Pragmatism and as such Idealism should be valued above Pragmatism.
Maybe something like,
Idealism allows us to better achieve progress than does Pragmatism

Also I don't know if Homeschooling is such a great illistration, becuase not all of the judges will think that homeschooling is better than public schooling. As it is though I don't have another illistration.

God Bless
Swimmer Dude
Back to top Go down
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

PostSubject: Phenomenal analogy!   Morgan's Affirmative EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 11:59 am

Morgan this is a great analogy

Quote :
Just like a compass if you follow the compass resolutely through the sea you're going to end up on the place you wanted to be if you hesitated just a little you are going to be hundreds of miles off target. By following ideals we end up closer to our goals. Since Idealism follows goals more faithfully than Pragmatism it more completely fulfills the end goal.

I'd like you to consider prepping your judge to hear this by saying.

"Let me illustrate this point by giving you an analogy. A captain of a ship uses a compass to help him arrive at his chosen destination. If that compass is not callibrated accurately or if the magnets are defective, he could travel hundreds of miles off target and never be able to reach his destination. Idealism is like a compass that allows us to reach our destination more efficiently.

This is just one way of making your case more judge friendly and conversational.

Mrs. Gray
Sue
Back to top Go down
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

PostSubject: A few notes...   Morgan's Affirmative EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 10:56 pm

Quote :
Pragmatism is defined (Encarta World dictionary) as a straightforward practical way of thinking about things or dealing with problems, concerned with results rather than with theories and principles.(Webster’s) Idealism is defined as behavior or thought based on a conception of things as one thinks they should be. Ideals are a conception of things in their most excellent form.

I'd like you to consider putting your definition for Idealism before your definition for pragmatism. This is picky but it might be helpful for organization. Since you are affirming the resolution and Isolation comes before pragmatism in the resolution.

Quote :
Progress must be valued in order that other values or goals can be achieved and Idealism is the most use of Progress because it will strive for and achieve goals more effectively.

Reword: Progress must be valued in order for values and goals to be achieved. Idealism allows progress to achieve goals more effectively.

Quote :
As idealism creates a goal it should guide it through the process of achieving that goal because Idealism will stay true to the Ideal and therefore end up with a more complete goal.

I'm a little confused by the wording of this sentence, could you clarify.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Morgan's Affirmative   Morgan's Affirmative Empty

Back to top Go down

Morgan's Affirmative
Page 1 of 1