Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Carl's Affirmative

Go down 
3 posters

Rate my case
1(yuck!)
Carl's Affirmative Vote_lcap0%Carl's Affirmative Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
2(horrible)
 0% [ 0 ]
3(not very good)
 0% [ 0 ]
4(bad)
 0% [ 0 ]
5(O.K.)
 0% [ 0 ]
6(good)
 0% [ 0 ]
7(great)
Carl's Affirmative Vote_lcap100%Carl's Affirmative Vote_rcap
 100% [ 1 ]
8(excellent)
 0% [ 0 ]
9(superior)
 0% [ 0 ]
10(unbeatable)
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Carl

Carl

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Carl's Affirmative Empty
PostSubject: Carl's Affirmative   Carl's Affirmative EmptyThu Dec 13, 2007 3:57 pm

Imagine this: You are very reliant on other people. They make almost everything you have. All you do is design the products. If they make a mistake, or the quality is not good, you do not know this until you get hurt. Moreover, this would give you a huge problem in economics. Believe it or not, this is the situation the US faces today.
Good afternoon, my name is Carl Colglazier, and I shall be the affirmative speaker for the following debate round.

My thesis is that valuing economic isolationism will help our physical and economical state of health .

Definitions

I would like to define the resolution, which states that the United States of America ought to more highly value isolationism.
the United States of America: “A country of central and northwest North America with coastlines on the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.”
ought: “to be bound in duty or by moral obligation.”
more: “a larger or extra number or amount,” and highly as “greater than the usual level.”
value: “to regard highly; esteem.”
Isolationism: a policy of national isolation by abstention from alliances and other international political and economic relations.

Value
My value, health is defined by Cambridge Dictionary of American English as “The condition of the body or mind and the degree to which it is free from illness, or the state of being well.”
Health is the highest value in the value hierarchy of values because without health, we would not feel able to do what we need to do, and we would have major problems.

In today’s debate round I shall have the privilege of upholding the resolution which states that the United States of America ought to more highly value isolationism.

Contention 1

Valuing economic isolationism will help our physical state of health. Your question may be how? Well, the spread of foreign diseases, such as SARS, bird flu, and more can happen easily. How? Well, let’s just say that someone has the diseases, but doesn’t know that yet. He puts his contaminated hands on the product. Someone overseas obtains the product and the sickness. The sickness quickly spreads after that. Also, a child who swallows large amounts of lead might develop anemia, severe stomachache, muscle weakness and even brain damage. The Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada released that 95% of all toys that were recalled in 2007, as of August 15, 2007 were made in China. And According to analysis by The Washington Times, Two-thirds of all products recalled in the United States through July were manufactured in China. Lead is a huge problem for health, and is especially dangerous for children.

Contention 2

Also, valuing economic isolationism will help our economic state of health. You may ask, what’s the problem with the economic state of health? Well, the U.S. Census Bureau’s Foreign Trade Division released that in 2006 the United States of America had a 763.6 billion dollar trade deficit. That’s mainly because of the amount of imports are so great. Our trade deficit’s month to month add-on has been going down recently. You may ask, but that’s good news, right? Well not at the expense that we’re taking for it to be going down. Against other currencies, the dollar has seen a drop the past five years. Now the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar. This is mainly because of the large trade deficit. Now, foreign trade is snatching up U.S. made products, which are less expensive, since the dollar is less expensive. It now costs 1 dollar, 48 cents to buy a Euro. Also, things from Europe and, other places that have a currency doing better than the dollar, are more expensive. This is because it costs the same in their currency, but it costs more to buy their currency, thus, making the product more expensive. Another thing that we are very reliant on is foreign gas. It now costs $3.15 a gallon to buy gas. We are very dependant on the Middle East for oil. In 1973 OPEC (Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries) had an embargo against the countries that supported Israel in the Yom Kippur War, The United States being among them. Gas prices ski-rocketed, until the embargo ended. People had to wait in long lines to get oil. They could only go certain days depending on their license plate number. If this happened again, we would have a very large problem.

Contention 3

Bad things will happen unless we become more economically isolationist. The trade deficit will go up, the dollar’s worth will go down, and more recalls will happen. It will cost more to buy things. Gas prices will continue to rise. The whole nation’s state of health will decline.

Contention 4

Good things will happen if we become more economically isolationist. We could create more jobs by making factories to make products. We can close the trade deficit by sending out products and raw materials. We can know that the things we are using are probably healthy. All of this could happen by valuing isolationism as a good idea, a bit more.
Throughout my contentions, I have argued
1) Valuing economic isolationism will help our physical and economic state of health
2) Bad things will happen unless we become more economically isolationist, and
3) Good things will happen if we become more economically isolationist.
Thank you. I have fulfilled my burden and upheld the resolution. I now urge the judge to affirm the resolution. Thank you and I now stand ready for cross-examination and further points of clarification.

I hope you enjoyed reading my case! Very Happy
Feel free to comment!

Last edited by on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:32 am; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
flyboymonkey
Admin
flyboymonkey

Number of posts : 42
Humor : much and many
Registration date : 2007-11-28

Carl's Affirmative Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carl's Affirmative   Carl's Affirmative EmptyThu Dec 13, 2007 4:20 pm

i would suggest a dictionary other than an online one

but its much better than mine
rabbit
Back to top Go down
https://speech.forumotion.net
Christian

Christian

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Carl's Affirmative Empty
PostSubject: Christian's rebuttal to Carl's Affirmative   Carl's Affirmative EmptyWed Jan 16, 2008 5:59 pm

Hello agian,

My value for this round, freedom and my opponent's value is health and he defined as “The condition of the body or mind and the degree to which it is free from illness, or the state of being well.” his definition is for the body and mine not for the government. Are country was founded by people who gave up their heath to founded this country. they did this because they saw that Engled was turning in to a dictatorship. So they broke away.

My thesis is "Isolationism does not allow us to remain free, but allows for unruly powers to spread tyranny throughout the world." My opponent's thesis is "that valuing economic isolationism will help our physical and economical state of health." and he sayes we can do that by getting rid of our dependisey on other countries. His main exsample was oil and that we should come up with a different fuel the oil. The city of Raleigh bought a new type of car for there city workers this car had a plug into any normal plug and you could drive it on electricity.

Contention #1

We should help the world in order to get Freedom. Imagine that you live in a dictatorship. Your life is miserable. Then you hear that your country is being invaded. Soon after you here that a world power has taken over your country and that a new form of government will be in power. This government works a lot better than the old one. Your life is so much better and happier. If we do help the middle east get rid of their dictators they will be more fiendly to us and a oil strike will not happen.

Contention #3

Having allies is needed to get rid of dictators. The uniting coalition of countries came together during the gulf war to free the country of Kuwait from the invading country of Iraq which was lead by the dictator Saddam Hussein. With out intervening freedom will be in jeopardy and we need to not value isolation. Allies will make your country safer.

My opponent said that the products made in foreign countries can make you sick but this is not as likely as going to that country and getting it there. That is how most sicknesses spraed.

thank you I have further proved my case and I will now wait for my opponent to give his reply.

Last edited by on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://aquamorph.110mb.com/
Sponsored content

Carl's Affirmative Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carl's Affirmative   Carl's Affirmative Empty

Back to top Go down

Carl's Affirmative
Page 1 of 1