Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Homework for Sept. 8th

Go down 
+14
meredith
ARandazzo
Mark Compton
NateBrick
MichaelC
Rebekah Mackin
Sam Chase
Katie Eaton
AshleyEaton
Nathan W.
Alex4JC
ali_n.
Bethany
mrs. gray
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mark Compton

Mark Compton

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-08-26

Homework for Sept. 8th - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homework for Sept. 8th   Homework for Sept. 8th - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 3:13 pm

My five topics are:

1.Why the internet is so important
2. The mistake of impulse buying
3. Why power corrupts man
4. The importance of language
5. The importance of exercise

Topic: Why the internet is so important

Purpose of speech: To explain why the internet is so important

Intended audience: Anyone

Attention Getting Intro: Many people in the US use the internet too much to function well without it.

What is your Thesis / Big idea for this speech: The internet is one of the most widely used things in the US.

Please summarize in a sentence the major points you would like to make in this speech: The majority of the people in the US use the internet, the loss of the internet would cut off many forms of communication, and the internet allows us to look things up for school and work without having to drive to a library.

What is the first point you would like to make as you deliver your speech: The majority of the US uses the internet

Do you have any outside support or evidence to support this point? Out of the 300 million people in the US, The World Factbook says the 231 million use the internet.

What is the 2nd point you would like to make as you deliver your speech? That the loss of the internet would cut off many of our forms of communication.

Do you have any outside support or evidence to support this point? Without the internet we could not send or receive email, we couldn't get to school sites, or acess any social sites.

What is the 3rd point you would like to make as you deliver your speech? The internet allows us to look up things for school and work without having to drive to a library.

Do you have any outside support or evidence to support this point? The internet holds huge amounts of information that can be used for school or work, so you can just search what you need without having to drive all the way to the library and back.

How could you creatively summarize your major points and conclude this speech? In this speech I have shown you why the internet is important to the everyday lives of 231 million Americans, and how it makes life more convenient. I hope that you will not take this great tool for granted any more.
Back to top Go down
Katie Eaton

Katie Eaton

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Homework for Sept. 8th   Homework for Sept. 8th - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 4:59 pm

oops! I forgot to post my 5 topics! well, here they are:

1. The importance of doing speech and debate
2. Absolute power corrupts absolutely
3. Hanging around with the right people
4. The different types of courage
5. Time is money

Last edited by Katie Eaton on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ARandazzo

ARandazzo

Number of posts : 12
Humor : Tim Hawkins

PostSubject: Homework 9/8/10 ARandazzo   Homework for Sept. 8th - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 9:38 pm

my five topics are...
1 professional athletes are paid way to much money
2 one responsiblity of the United States is to be the world's police
3 fighting should be allowed in hockey because it is part of the game
4 a flat tax would not benefit America
5 professional athletes should be allowed to play in the olympics

TOPIC: professional athlete's salaries are way to high

Purpose of speech: to encourage people to fight back against high cost when it comes to professional sports & it's entertainment

Intended audience: everyone

Attention Getting Intro: (how do you plan to creatively introduce this speech?) According to the Associated Press, the lowest combined team salary for Major League Baseball on opening day 2010 was 35 million dollars. All teams combined equaled approx. 1.2 billion dollars for the MLB.

What is your Thesis / Big idea for this speech: (what do you want your audience to remember?) sports players get payed to much

Please summarize in a sentence the major points you would like to make in this speech: (road map your speech)
Because professional athletes are currently paid extremely high salaries, it has become difficult for the average family to afford going to sports events, athletes are now playing for the money and not the love of the game, and our economy has been affected in a negative way.

What is the first point you would like to make as you deliver your speech:
sports games have become unafordable to the average family

Do you have any outside support or evidence to support this point?
when a player's salary raises, the ticket price raises, chasing families away.

What is the 2nd point you would like to make as you deliver your speech?
players start to play for the money and not the love of the game or the commitment to his team or fans

when a big shot doesn't get the money he wants, he switches teams

What is the 3rd point you would like to make as you deliver your speech?
the large amounts of money effects the economy in a negative way

instead of spending money in their homes or schools, people are paying the high ticket prices

How could you creatively summarize your major points and conclude this speech?
Lowering the saleries of sports players will make it affordable for the average family to participate in sporting events, it will recreate a love and passion for sports in America, and it will stimulate our economy in areas that is more productive for the future of our country.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianfriendsproductions.com
NateBrick

NateBrick

Number of posts : 19
Humor : Oh... dear... I think I left my sense of humor at home. Woops.

PostSubject: The Inner Workings of Abbreviations   Homework for Sept. 8th - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:56 am

1. Om nom nom- Is “Lolspeak” a sign of anything?
2. Tender vs. Flaky: The Cook’s Conundrum
3. Should the United States adopt Draconian Litter Laws?
4. TBD, ETC, HS, Are Abbreviations Really More Efficient?
5. Is my cat dumb or just curious?

Are Abbreviations Really Efficient?

Have you ever come across an abbreviation? TBD, MPH, KPH, HS, PS, ETC.

Thesis: Abbreviations are much more efficient than writing or speaking the phrase.

POINT 1: Mathematically, abbreviations on average contain at least 50% less letters than the phrase they abbreviate.

POINT 2: Oftentimes, abbreviations roll off the tongue. “TBD” rolls off the tongue quite nicely, while “To Be Determined” does not.

POINT 3: “In the NC region, our HS Curr. Sales are up 50%, while our AK IT support is experiencing CCL problems.” Did you understand that sentence? What I meant was “In the North Carolina region, our Home School Curriculum Sales are up fifty percent, while our Alaska Information Technology support is experiencing Creative Commons Licensing problems.” As you can see, abbreviations can be used as a code for high-level business decisions.

I hope you have left this room with a larger understanding of abbreviations and their inner workings. Guten tag
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52279399@N07/
meredith

meredith

Number of posts : 32
Humor : Ha Ha Ha!

PostSubject: Homework   Homework for Sept. 8th - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 11:10 am

1. Why Christian Music should not have drums
2. Classical music calms wild animals
3. Are unicorns real?
4. Why there should be no TV preaching on Sunday
5. The benefits of owning a dog

TOPIC: The benefits of owning a dog

Purpose of speech:To tell people the benefits of owning a dog.

Intended audience: General Public

Attention Getting Intro: (how do you plan to creatively introduce this speech?) Every year people spend $39,000,000,000
on dog food every year.

What is your Thesis / Big idea for this speech: (what do you want your audience to remember?) How dogs can help you in everyday life.

Please summarize in a sentence the major points you would like to make in this speech: (road map your speech)
I am going to tell you 3 benefits of owning a dog from Safety to Reducing Stress.

What is the first point you would like to make as you deliver your speech: Dogs help reduce stress.

Do you have any outside support or evidence to support this point? Nursing home residents felt much less lonely after spending time with a dog alone than they visited with a dog and other people.

What is the 2nd point you would like to make as you deliver your speech? Dogs help protect people.

Do you have any outside support or evidence to support this point? When I was in Houston I had a dog and once he was barking like crazy in the middle of the night. We didn't pay any attention to him but in the morning we found that stuff was stolen from our car.

What is the 3rd point you would like to make as you deliver your speech? Dogs can sense that someone is about to have a seizure or a stroke.

Do you have any outside support or evidence to support this point? Seizure Alert Dogs warn people with epilepsy of an oncoming attack minutes- sometimes hours- before it occurs.

(the goal of a conclusion is to motivate your audience to remember and act)
Dogs are very good to have around the house because they care for you and keep you safe.

Last edited by meredith on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-09-01

PostSubject: Platform    Homework for Sept. 8th - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 12:22 pm

5 topics
1. Snow skiing is the all around greatest sport
2. Why Communism is not a wise system of government
3. The Bible is the greatest book ever written
4. The dangers of procrastinating
5. The importance of good grades

TOPIC:The dangers of procrastinating.

Purpose of speech: So people will know that procrastination does more bad than good.

Attention Getting Intro: (how do you plan to creatively introduce this speech?) Did you know that in 1978, 5% of the American population admitted regularly procrastinating? Now about 30 years later 26% of the population admits of committing this lazy act.

What is your Thesis / Big idea for this speech: (what do you want your audience to remember?) Procrastinating at the moment of doing it may seem like a grand idea but in the end all you get is a lot of work and stress.

Please summarize in a sentence the major points you would like to make in this speech: (road map your speech)I will state the dangers of procrastination, by explaining why people procrastinate, how they procrastinate, and the result of procrastinating.

What is the first point you would like to make as you deliver your speech: Why people procrastinate.

Do you have any outside support or evidence to support this point? They do it because it is a lifestyle and because they think they have better things to do at that moment.

What is the 2nd point you would like to make as you deliver your speech?
How people procrastinate.
People can do this by getting distracted or playing computer games like minesweeper has been estimated to have cost billions of dollars for the whole society.
What is the 3rd point you would like to make as you deliver your speech?
The result of procrastinating.
Procrastinating results in stress and extra work that you have to do in a very short amount of time.
As you can see procrastinating is slowly taking over America and this is not a good thing. Procrastinating is not a good habit to get into.

Back to top Go down
Charlie Smith

Charlie Smith

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Homework for Sept. 8th   Homework for Sept. 8th - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 2:08 pm

My topics are:
1 why Christianity is true
2 why religion is an important part of a culture
3 why the steelers are the best franchise in the nfl
4 why ancient sumerians were the best inventors of the ancient world
5 why creation, not evolution, is true
TOPIC: why the Pittsburg Steelers are the best franchise in the nfl

Purpose of speech: to persuade people for my topic

Intended audience: anyone

Attention Getting Intro: (how do you plan to creatively introduce this speech?) with outstanding facts about the steelers

What is your Thesis / Big idea for this speech: (what do you want your audience to remember?) that the steelers are the best franchise in the nfl

Please summarize in a sentence the major points you would like to make in this speech: (road map your speech) the steelers are old enough to be a ligitamite franchise, that the steelers have had many recognizable franchise players, that the steelers have the most championships in the nfl

What is the first point you would like to make as you deliver your speech: the steelers are old enough to be considered a ligitamite franchise

Do you have any outside support or evidence to support this point? The steelers, formally the pirates, were established in 1933

What is the 2nd point you would like to make as you deliver your speech? The steelers have had many recognizable franchise stars

Do you have any outside support or evidence to support this point? List players such as Terry bradshaw, Lynn Swan, Jerome Bettis, Mean Joe Greene, Ben Roethlisberger

What is the 3rd point you would like to make as you deliver your speech? The steelers have won more super bowls than anyone else in the nfl

Do you have any outside support or evidence to support this point? They have won 6 while everyone else has won less than 6

(the goal of a conclusion is to motivate your audience to remember and act) restate my 3 points and get it in their heads that the steelers are the best
Back to top Go down
jacobbrou14

Number of posts : 1

PostSubject: Homework   Homework for Sept. 8th - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 2:28 pm

My topics are
1. Why Football is the greatest sport
2. Why a big family is fun
3. The dangers of sports
4. Why Sleep is important
5. Why people are angry

TOPIC:Why Football is the greatest sport

Purpose of speech: To make people believe that football is the greatest sport

Attention Getting Intro: 4 million people play American football each year and 91 million people watched the Super Bowl

Thesis/Big Idea: Football is the greatest sport

Summarize points: 3 points why football is greatest sport from the best athletes to the T.V.

First point: Football has best athletes and skills in the world
Evidence: From blazing fast running backs to huge, powerful linemen to precision quarterbacks, football has it all

Second point: Football is the most strategic sport ever
Evidence: Coaches spend eternities trying to come up with game-plans and schemes that will help them defeat the opponent

Third point: Everybody loves and watches football
Evidence: The NFL collected 16.6 million viewers per week last year and CBS, FOX, ESPN, and NBC pay a combined 20.4 billion dollars to the NFL to broadcast the games

Conclusion: Restate my points and offer a few different stats to help them believe that football is the ultimate sport
Back to top Go down
Christian Di Lorenzo
Christian Di Lorenzo

Number of posts : 91
Humor : Impromptu
Registration date : 2009-11-04

PostSubject: Homework   Homework for Sept. 8th - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 12:43 pm

Topics:
  1. Whether all men have a conscience.
  2. Intelligent Design
  3. Whether Nero as the Beast of Revelation
  4. "Wheldon the Weed" by Peter Jones
  5. Why the Brothers Karamazov was a good book

Specific Topic: Intelligent Design

Purpose of speech: to persuade you Exclamation that Intelligent Design should be considered and presented in schools

Intended audience: Everybody that can read/understand the debate of origins (i.e. Where did we come from?)

Attention Getting Intro: (how do you plan to creatively introduce this speech?)

-----Once on more level ground, the class followed Dr. Seeting as he squeezed himself through one narrow gap to another in a slowly descending, snaking route into the shadowy darkness. Because it was the first time a group of school children had been allowed into the cavern, Dr. Seeting went slowly and made frequent stops to count heads.
At this point, Dr. Seeting, wanting to ensure full appreciation of the natural beauty around asked that each child turn off his or her light. With each click the darkness crept in slightly still held back by Dr. Seeting’s large floodlight. Once he turned his light off, however, the group gasped in startled delight. The cave was completely, utterly dark. The kids tried putting their hands in front of their faces in vain attempts to see something.
After turning his light on and continuing, Dr. Seeting said, ‘Now, we are going to see the most remarkable natural formation anyone has ever seen. So remarkable, it actually looks like a picture!’
-----I have begun by reciting from a fictional story entitled The Cave Painting by Roddy M. Bullock. In this story, the main character is a student named Jenny who along with her fellow classmates, teacher and scientist find themselves examining an interesting “natural” formation in a cave. At least the scientist named Dr. Seeting believes this is a “natural” formation. However, Jenny begins to think otherwise. Let me continue with the story.
-----Soon the group came into a large, open cavern and stopped. ‘Look.’ Said Dr. Seeting. At first the kids didn’t see anything. Ms. Hart, the schoolteacher, also strained to see any significant natural formation in the light’s glow. Dr. Seeting waited patiently.
‘I see it!’ one of the boys shouted bolting forward. ‘Don’t touch!’ Dr. Seeting called out, moving suddenly to intercept the boy. Drawing back, the excited boy pointed out what he saw. One by one, each of the kids began to see it as well.
-----Jenny’s camera clicked and whirred as well, capturing the faint, but distinct lines and the markings that, together, ‘looked amazingly like a hunting scene’ as Dr. Seeting said. They all agreed that the image resembling a man appeared to be hunting. Jenny was captivated by the image of a man running, both legs bent at the knee, the back leg stretched out more than the other, feet in the air. One arm was raised with fingers wrapping a spear, while the other stretched forward, pointing ahead. His hair blew behind him, as if by the wind; his eyes focused intensely in the direction of his outstretched arm. The ground stretched underneath as a long horizontal line. Jenny could distinguish at least three colors, some brighter than others.
On the wall before the staring faces were what appeared to be animal figures, this time less recognizable, but clearly distinguishable. The animals overlapped, making it difficult to see individual features, but each had a large head with long horns. It appeared that they were all the same type of animal. On some, four legs were visible, and at least one was lying down, which had a spear stuck into its neck.
-----Then Dr. Seeting said, ‘these specialties are the most remarkable formations found in this, or any, cave, anywhere. Their discovery has captivated the attention of scientists worldwide, and has stirred serious debate. Many scientists are simply unable to comprehend how such an arrangement of colored pigment could form naturally to look like a picture.’“
After they went back to their classrooms they had a discussion about what they had seen. “’Who painted those pictures?’ Jenny asked directly, with open wonderment. ‘Well, let me explain,’ Dr. Seeting continued, ‘You see, science, natural science, can consider only natural explanations for physical features of the world around us. Natural explanations must be based on the physical evidence – what we can see, hear, smell, and touch. This is the only way data and information can be gathered, tested and confirmed. It’s important that theories can be tested independently and repeatedly to confirm various hypotheses.’”

What is your Thesis / Big idea for this speech: (what do you want your audience to remember?) -------The main purpose of my speech today is to defend intelligent design as a valid, scientific theory to explain the origin and diversity of life based on the evidence that can be seen.

I will define evolution and its original implications, show that the complexity of life refutes evolution while showing evolution's problems, and finally show that intelligent design is a better alternative and should be presented in the public schools.

What is the first point you would like to make as you deliver your speech: Explanation of Darwinism

n/a (not applicable)

What is the 2nd point you would like to make as you deliver your speech? Complexity of life

Here we go again...
-----First, we’ll look at the genetic instructions behind life (Pause). DNA, which stands for deoxyribonucleic acid, is like a twisted ladder (show double helix structure). The steps of this ladder are composed of the chemical units sugar and phosphate. DNA has a specific language, which is composed of the letters A, G, T, and C, which stand for Adenine, Guanine, Thymine, and Cytosine monophosphate respectively (show picture).
-----DNA provides the instructions of how to make proteins, which are essential in every organism (show diagram). Proteins, which are made up of amino acids, have specific instructions on the combinations of amino acids. There are 30,000 distinct proteins that are all based on 20 different types of amino acids!
-----After entering the nucleus of a cell (the heart of a cell), we find DNA, which contains the instruction necessary to build all types of proteins, which are essential to life. First, a molecular machine unwinds a section of DNA to expose the genetic instructions. Then, a different molecular machine copies these instructions to develop a molecule called messenger RNA.
-----When this is complete, the slender RNA strand carries the genetic information through the nuclear bore complex, which is the gatekeeper for the cell nucleus. After emerging from the nucleus, the messenger RNA strand is sent to a two-part factory called a ribosome. After being attached securely, the process of transcription begins. Inside the ribosome, a molecular assembly line takes place to build a specifically sequenced chain of amino acids based on the RNA strand. These amino acids are brought from other factories in the cell and then linked into amino chains often hundreds of units long. Their sequential arrangement from the DNA determines the type of protein that is built. If they are arranged in the right way, the amino acids will fold into a certain structure. If not, they will be dispersed and destroyed in the cell. When the chain is completed, it is transported to a barrel machine that helps fold it into the precise shape of the protein that is critical to its function. After the protein is complete, it is then released and brought by another molecular machine to the exact location where it is needed.
-----I want you to decide whether or not chance and natural selection can explain this. In looking at DNA, we see both great complexity and immense specificity. We also see irreducible complexity.
Bill Gates, who is the founder of Microsoft, has said that DNA is a computer programming language except so much more complex. This is where we see the most compelling evidence of design on the earth! We must realize that without DNA, there is no reproduction. And without self-reproduction there is no life.
-----Michael Behe describes these complex and specific structures and functions as molecular machines. There are many different types of molecular machines such as molecular motors, propellers, switches, shuttles, tweezers, sensors, and molecular logic gates. Each and every molecular machine plays a crucial role in either the development or maintenance of a cell.
Another example of irreducible complexity is the flagellum motor (show diagram). This motor propels single-celled organisms. It is very similar to an outboard motor. It contains a stator, bushings, rotor, driveshaft, filament (the tail), cytoplasmic membrane, and the cell wall. This motor can spin at speeds up to 17,000 rpm. The remarkable thing is that it can stop within a quarter turn and spin 17,000 rpm the other direction. All of the parts of this flagellum motor must be present in order for this to work.
-----William Dembski, who has a PhD in mathematics, is a staunch proponent of intelligent design. In his terminology, a specified pattern is one that simply specified, whereas a complex pattern is one that is unlikely to occur by chance. Dembski argues that it is impossible for specified complexity to exist in patterns displayed by configurations formed by unguided processes. Therefore, Dembski argues, the fact that specified complex patterns could be found in living things indicates some kind of guidance in their formation, which is indicative of intelligence.
-----Although Darwin thought originally thought that the eye couldn’t possibly evolve by the process of evolution, he went on later to defend the fact that he thought that eye could have evolved in the end. I agree with his hypothesis, but not his conclusion. In Darwin’s book the origin of species under the chapter 6 entitled “Difficulties ”This is what he said, “” In most vertebrate, the eye works by allowing light to enter the lens and project onto a panel of cells, called the retina, which is located at the rear of the eye. The cone cells, which are for color and the rod cells, which is for low-light contrasts in the retina detect the light and convert it into signals. Then, these visual signals are sent to the brain through the optic nerve. These kinds of eyes are spherical, filled with a substance called the vitreous humour, with a lens for focusing and an iris. The relaxing or tightening of the muscles around the iris change the size of the pupil, thereby regulating the amount of light that enters the eye, and reducing aberrations when there is enough light. After understanding that every part in the eye is critical to its function and maintenance, we realize that the eye is irreducibly complex.
-----At one point, Darwin understood that he could not explain how the eye evolved and said that it gave him a “cold shudder” when he thought about the complexity of the eye. If we loose the function of our eyes, we become feeble and useless. So then we realize that the eye is a very important structure in our body that Darwinism cannot explain. Today, we realize that it is not the eye itself that is very complex but rather structures and processes within the eye.

There is more... but I will not include for longevity's sake

What is the 3rd point you would like to make as you deliver your speech? Intelligent design is an alternative to Darwinism

Do you have any outside support or evidence to support this point? complexity of life

----So when students are taught to consider the possible origins of life, shouldn’t they consider the question: Does the evidence suggest intelligent design or Darwinian evolution? We need to start teaching kids in our educational system both sides of this origin of life controversy. Even Darwin said, “A fair result can be obtained only by fully stating and balancing the facts and arguments on both sides of each question.” There are also a growing number of scientists from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Princeton, Yale, and various other schools saying, “We are skeptical of claims for the ability of random mutation and natural selection to account for the complexity of life. Careful examination of the evidence for the Darwinian theory should be encouraged.” Also Congress said, “Where topics are taught that may generate controversy (such as biological evolution), the curriculum should help students to understand the full range of scientific views that exist, why such topics may generate controversy, and how scientific discoveries con profoundly affect society.” In a survey of the general public it was found that 71% of people say, "Biology teachers should teach Darwin's theory of evolution, but also the scientific evidence against it."
-----So over the course of these 10 minutes, I have shown the worthiness of intelligent design in our public school system. The students should be able to think critically and decide for themselves which of the two theories they think fits the evidence. So in conclusion, intelligent design is a valid, scientific theory based on empiric evidence and it must not be excluded from the science classroom discussion of the origins and the complexity of life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homework for Sept. 8th   Homework for Sept. 8th - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Homework for Sept. 8th
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2