Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Adam's Negative constructive

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Adam Sprecher

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Adam's Negative constructive Empty
PostSubject: Adam's Negative constructive   Adam's Negative constructive EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 4:30 pm

Okay here's my negative constructive. Still needs some work, so if anyone wants to critique or advise, that would be awesome....

Hi, my name is Adam Sprecher. I would like to thank the judges, timer, and my opponent for being here today. As the negative speaker, it is my burden to negate the resolution, which reads, “Resolved: when in conflict, idealism aught to be valued above pragmatism.” This resolution should be negated because of my value, which is prudence, and my thesis statement, which is the following: prudence necessitates valuing idealism and pragmatism as equally important. I have three contentions which support this thesis statement. First of all, pragmatism is necessary for survival. Secondly, when overvalued, idealism is both detrimental and dangerous to society. Thirdly, we should value prudence as preeminent because (affirmative value) is useless unless it is considered and pursued with prudence.
Now, before I go any further, I would like to define some key terms that are vital to this debate round.
Conflict—Merriam-Webster’s Online Dictionary—Competitive or opposing action of incompatibles: antagonistic state or action (as of divergent ideas, interests, or persons)

Idealism—Webster’s New World Dictionary, 2nd College Edition—behavior or thought based on a conception of things as they should be or as one would wish them to be; idealization

Pragmatism—Cambridge International Dictionary of English—When you deal with a problem in a realistic way rather than obeying fixed theories, ideas or rules

Value—Webster’s 1828 Dictionary—to consider with respect to importance

Prudence—Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary--skill and good judgment in the use of resources

C1—Pragmatism is necessary for survival.
Some would say that pragmatism is by definition immoral or wrong. This simply is not true. Roy Hattersly says this on the subject: “Morality and expediency coincide more than the cynics allow.” Pragmatism is simply practicality. For those with a correct worldview, practicality is not in conflict with morality. Practicality, obviously, is necessary for life. Idealism is important as well, but without pragmatism, nothing could be accomplished in life.

C2—When overvalued, idealism is both detrimental and dangerous to society.
There have been countless instances throughout history where this has been proven true. Due to the confines of time I will only elaborate on one. The French Revolution is a perfect example of this situation. Ideals of equality, fraternity, and liberty were all admirable goals that were worth working for. However, they overvalued idealism, undervalued pragmatism, and created a bloodbath. If they were pragmatic in this situation, they would not have killed off so many of their fellow citizens. Why did their economy collapse? Why did their culture collapse? These horrific events took place because they valued their ideals over practicality. Now, this is not to say that idealism is bad or unimportant, it is only to say that it is not of chief importance.

C3-- We should value prudence as preeminent because (aff. value) is useless unless it is considered and pursued with prudence.
We must view life under the lens of prudence and practicality. Let me remind you of the definition of prudence: skill and good judgment in the use of resources. This basically means that going through life pragmatically and with prudence means the exact same thing. No other value is worth anything unless it is pursued in a prudent manner. Both history and current events are littered with examples of people and nations attempting to attain perfectly noble values, but they fail because they lack prudence and practicality to do the job right.

In summation, I would like to reiterate my main points. My value is prudence, and my thesis statement states that prudence necessitates valuing idealism and pragmatism as equally important. These are my three contentions. First of all, pragmatism is necessary for survival. Secondly, when overvalued, idealism is both detrimental and dangerous to society. Thirdly, we should value prudence as preeminent because (affirmative value) is useless unless it is considered and pursued with prudence.
Back to top Go down
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

PostSubject: comments   Adam's Negative constructive EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 9:58 pm

Quote :
First of all, pragmatism is necessary for survival. Secondly, when overvalued, idealism is both detrimental and dangerous to society. Thirdly, we should value prudence as preeminent because (affirmative value) is useless unless it is considered and pursued with prudence.

I love it when a debater forecasts his arguments like this. This really helps to prepare your judge for what's to come.

At first I was going to say something about PRUDENCE as a value instead of WISDOM. But the more I look up and define prudence the more I see how it lends itself perfectly for the pragmatic argument. I do still have a bit of an inkling towards wanting to keep prudence and wisdom connected, but I don't want you to change things. Perhaps you could find a quote or something that connects prudence with wisdom.

Does this make sense?

I guess to clarify, my initial thought was why not choose WISDOM instead of prudence, but the more I read your case the more I like PRUDENCE.

Quote :
C3-- We should value prudence as preeminent because (aff. value) is useless unless it is considered and pursued with prudence.
We must view life under the lens of prudence and practicality. Let me remind you of the definition of prudence: skill and good judgment in the use of resources. This basically means that going through life pragmatically and with prudence means the exact same thing. No other value is worth anything unless it is pursued in a prudent manner. Both history and current events are littered with examples of people and nations attempting to attain perfectly noble values, but they fail because they lack prudence and practicality to do the job right.

I absolutely love this tactic too... Have you already started slipping in Affirmative values?
Back to top Go down
Adam Sprecher

PostSubject: Re: Adam's Negative constructive   Adam's Negative constructive EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 10:25 pm

Yes, I've tried putting in some affirmative values... morality and human rights are the ones I can think of at the moment....
Back to top Go down
Samuel Johnson

Samuel Johnson

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Adam's Negative constructive   Adam's Negative constructive EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 10:08 am

Very nice case Adam. The one thing I would watch for is that with the French revolution argument the Affirmative could say that it was a conflict of ideals, not idealism and pragmatism. Since they could say that they valued the ideals of Equality and Fraternity above the values of Life and Justice.

Just one thing I saw on reading it. Looks very good on the whole.
Back to top Go down
Adam Sprecher

PostSubject: Re: Adam's Negative constructive   Adam's Negative constructive EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 9:15 pm

Thanks for the tip Samuel... I get what your saying. However (I guess i'm just reiterating what I said in my debate) if they were more practical (ie killed less people) they wouldn't have had so many problems. So if they valued pragmatism (practicality) equally with their ideals they might have been more successful. I do get your argument though. If I were affirmative and debating against my own negative, that's probably the way I'd argue it!

Thanks again for the advice, bro. keep it coming!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adam's Negative constructive   Adam's Negative constructive Empty

Back to top Go down

Adam's Negative constructive
Page 1 of 1