Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Courtney's Negative

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Courtney Gray

Courtney Gray

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-12-01

Courtney's Negative Empty
PostSubject: Courtney's Negative   Courtney's Negative EmptyThu Dec 27, 2007 6:59 pm

So i still need to edit this a lot.

“We in America have learned bitter lessons from two world wars: It is better to be here [in Europe] ready to protect the peace, than to take blind shelter across the sea, rushing to respond only after freedom is lost. We've learned that isolationism never was and never will be an acceptable response to tyrannical governments with an expansionist intent.”

This quote from Ronald Reagan establishes the framework for my argument as the negative speaker in this debate round. My name is Courtney Gray and I have the privilege of explaining why we should not affirm this resolution. The major point I will be making throughout my case it that valuing isolationism more than we already do would not benefit our country.

The value I would like to frame my argument under is wisdom. Wisdom is defined by American Heritage dictionary as: The ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting. My criterion is the constitutional due process.

C1- Valuing Wisdom allows us to determine how we should respond to the world

The strength of our government has been established through embracing and promoting debate and constitutional due process. If a group of intelligent wise men gathered in a room with a goal of coming to a consensus on a particular issue it is highly unlikely that they would all agree at the very beginning of their discussion. If they were all given the opportunity to present their point of view, argue their case, and debate the issue at hand then we could feel more secure that a wise decision could be made. Our government operates with wisdom as our goal….The balancing powers of the three branches of our government serve to protect us from the unwise decisions of any one man or party. As we have seen throughout history, wisdom is an uphill battle. When mistakes have been made and governmental policies have been adopted which didn’t serve or promote our countries best interest we learn and grow and further respond with wisdom. Wisdom is obtained through experience and the debate of ideas. Tim Downs, an author and professional Christian communicator says, “Valuing wisdom is valuing the true application of knowledge.” We must negate this resolution, because doing so allows us to wisely process.. past, present, future circumstances that effect our foreign policy and interactions with the world.

C2- Global interactions require us to filter all decisions through wise and purposeful communications

We must have open communication with world leaders so that we can make wise decisions concerning ongoing global issues and global interaction. We are not an island that can survive independent of all other countries. All world decisions will ultimately affect us in someway. This open communication fosters wisdom as open debate and discussion helps us learn from and respect the wisdom of other leaders.

Reiteration:
Throughout my contentions, I have argued two main points:
1. Valuing Wisdom allows us to determine how we should respond to the world
2. Global interactions require us to filter all decisions through wise and purposeful communications

I would now like to address my opponent’s case.

Voting Issues:
Thank you. I have fulfilled my burden and negated the resolution. I now respectfully urge the judge to negate the resolution. Thank you and I now stand ready for cross-examination.
Back to top Go down

Courtney's Negative
Page 1 of 1