Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Andrew Smith's Neg Case

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-09-01

Andrew Smith's Neg Case Empty
PostSubject: Andrew Smith's Neg Case   Andrew Smith's Neg Case EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Negative Debate Case

Introduction:
On the afternoon of Thursday, November 19th, 1863, Abraham Lincoln gave the Gettysburg address. He started it by saying, “Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.” Abraham Lincoln goes on to say that our nation was built upon certain principles and that we need to uphold them. When a government does not give its citizen’s equality then it is being not being legitimate. For this reason I strongly negate this year’s resolution: Resolved: A government’s legitimacy is determined more by its respect for popular sovereignty than individual rights.

Definitions:

Government: the governing body of persons in a state, community, etc.; administration.-Dictionary.com

Legitimate- in accordance with established rules, principles, or standards.-Dictionary.com

Popular-regarded with favor, approval, or affection by people in general-Dictionary.com

Sovereignty-supreme and independent power or authority in government as possessed or claimed by a state or community-Dictionary.com

Individual Rights-existing as a distinct, indivisible entity, or considered as such; discrete-Dictionary.com

Rights-that which is due to anyone by just claim, legal guarantees, moral principles-Dictionary.com

Value:

My value for today is Equality. Equality is defined as the state of being equal-Oxford dictionary. My criterion is individual rights.

Contentions:

#1-Equality is the key.
In America we have the right to choose, to male decisions on our own. Unfortunately, back in the 19th century, African Americans did not have that freedom to choose. They were forced to work for whoever bought them. If they wanted freedom and equality they would have to escape to the North without being seen. Thankfully the Civil war was fought; the Union won and freed the slaves. Now days everyone has the right to choose what they want to do when they want to do it.

#2-Equality satisfies everyone
Who is not satisfied with equality? Equality lets everyone including the young and old, strong and weak, rich and poor, to have even and fair rights. Lord Acton once said, “The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities.”

#3-Equality makes a better government.
In my introduction, my quote by Abraham Lincoln shows that America strives to be a country where everyone has an equal amount of rights. Everyone in America has equal rights today because of our government.

Conclusion:
In this speech I have shown three main points, equality is the key, equality satisfies everyone and equality makes a better government. For these reasons I strongly urge you to negate the resolution.

Back to top Go down

Andrew Smith's Neg Case
Page 1 of 1