Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Social Networking sites are good for society!

Go down 
+8
Bethany
Christian Di Lorenzo
ali_n.
Alex4JC
Katie Eaton
NateBrick
AshleyEaton
mrs. gray
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Social Networking sites are good for society! Empty
PostSubject: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:38 pm

There is considerable debate over the pros and cons of social networking sites (Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, etc) Here is your opportunity to weigh in with your opinion on this topic. Do you agree or disagree with the statement: Social networking sites are good for society.

My challenge to you as you respond to this question.... Start thinking like a debate student! Don't simply say, "I agree!" Instead give me your reasons why.
Your argument becomes stronger when you give me evidence and facts to support your opinion. (After all why should I care about your opinion, if there are no facts to back it up?)

Remember all of our discourse on this forum will be respectful of opposing opinions. No AD HOMINEM attacks! (if you don't know what this means feel free to look it up and start practicing your research skills! Wink )

The purpose of this exercise is three-fold.
1. To get everyone accustomed to posting, editing, and responding on this forum.
2. To allow for practice writing out arguments and debating simple topics.
3. To provide an icebreaker that allows this on-line community to further get to know each other.
Back to top Go down
AshleyEaton

AshleyEaton

Number of posts : 50
Humor : Anything witty or fun or silly (not super picky)
Registration date : 2010-08-24

PostSubject: Social networking sites are good for society.   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 10:34 am

I agree with the statement Social networking sites are good for society. Sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Myspace are great tools because they advocate long distance relationships, advance ideas, and accommodate useful tools.

1. They allow long distance relationships with family and friends to thrive
2. They provide blogging, photo storage, free games and allow for the ability to organize events to anyone one with a phone or computer that has internet access
3. they bring together people with common interests and allow for their new ideas to be shared with others who feel the same

(Hope this is an okay start) Wink
Back to top Go down
NateBrick

NateBrick

Number of posts : 19
Humor : Oh... dear... I think I left my sense of humor at home. Woops.
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 1:38 pm

Don't mention social networking to me or my mom. Otherwise Mom will get you addicted to Farmtown, while I rant on how many arguments there are on those evil sites.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52279399@N07/
Katie Eaton

Katie Eaton

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 1:44 pm

I believe that social networking sites are a good place to tell people important information, or dates of events, or talking to friends who are away, or even just to talk.
Back to top Go down
Alex4JC

Alex4JC

Number of posts : 69
Humor : I love a good joke

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Social Networking sites are GREAT ways to keep in touch with people, and also share important information...as long as that information doesn't get into the wrong hands.

1. These sites are great for keeping in touch with people (especially those you don't get to see a lot)
2. These sites are great for sharing information to a lot of people at one time.
3. There are a lot of "hackers" on social sites, be careful about what you put up.

Overall I like social networking sites (therefore I have a facebook Smile but I'm never to careful about who my friends are and what I tell them. These sites were made for great reasons, but in a fallen/sinful world there are people who want to steal information Sad If you're careful THESE SITES ARE GREAT FOR SOCIAL NETOWRKING Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ali_n.

ali_n.

Number of posts : 58
Location : reality - its a lovely place but i don't like living there
Humor : original fairytales: death, horror, now sweet dreams kids!
Registration date : 2010-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 4:34 pm

I agree that social networking sites are good for society. I find that facebook (though i don't have one) is one of the only ways i could keep in touch with friends from assorted camps and activities.
Back to top Go down
Alex4JC

Alex4JC

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 4:40 pm

But...in order to have a facebook, you have to have an email Wink
Back to top Go down
ali_n.

ali_n.

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 4:53 pm

Many of them use their siblings emails, or do not ever check their emails, therefore facebook is the only way, and it's not like we're good enough of friends to call each other and have a conversation.
Back to top Go down
Alex4JC

Alex4JC

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 4:59 pm

Ah. I see...maybe one day you'll have one....maybe.
Back to top Go down
AshleyEaton

AshleyEaton

PostSubject: Social Networking Sites are Bad   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 8:16 pm

This article from The Daily Pennsilvanian supports my point:
The ever-growing encroachment of online social networking and electronic media on people's everyday lives begs the question of what effect these virtual interactions are having on the mind and body.

According to a paper recently published in Biologist, the increasing displacement of face-to-face contact by time spent online can be associated with negative physiological changes.

"The rapid proliferation of electronic media is . now the most significant contributing factor to society's growing physical estrangement," Aric Sigman, the author of the paper, wrote.

The Internet Paradox study by Robert Kraut that associated greater use of the Internet with declines in communication between family members in the house, declines in the size of their social circle, and increases in their levels of depression and loneliness.

However, Sigman's use of the study in his paper has come under some scrutiny since it does not take into account social-networking sites that are around today, like Facebook and Twitter.

While Penn students are quick to associate their time Twittering, Facebooking and browsing online with a decrease in their lack of productivity, few believe their health is being affected.

"On numerous occasions, I've had to change friends' passwords so that they don't go on Facebook during finals," said College sophomore Maryanne Mercede. College freshman Margot Neuburger had similar sentiments.

"A lot of my friends and I spend a lot of time on Facebook and it is often a big distraction from our work," she said.
Back to top Go down
Katie Eaton

Katie Eaton

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 8:23 pm

This is not to say that all of the products of social media are positive. We can all point to negative consequences: bullying, gossip mongering, increased procrastination, etc. Our news media loves to focus on these. Even the positive stories that do run often have a negative or sensationalist angle, such as those who used Twitter to track the California fires. Unfortunately, those who do not understand social media look to the news, see the negative coverage, and declare all social media evil.
Back to top Go down
ali_n.

ali_n.

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 8:45 pm

I mean, they are definately not all positive. If you put too much personal information on your Twitter or Facebook account, well, there are some pretty messed up people in this world, and it is not very safe. Accounts can be hacked too. There are definatley plenty of pros and cons.
Back to top Go down
Christian Di Lorenzo
Christian Di Lorenzo

Number of posts : 91
Humor : Impromptu
Registration date : 2009-11-04

PostSubject: Social networking sites can be dangerous...   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 12:05 pm

There are several different reasons why social networking sites can be dangerous...

1. Anything that is posted can be read by friends, teachers, & parents.

2. Criminals can find out about you very easily not only using various websites, but also by social networking sites.

3. "Enemies" so to speak can track you.
---- e.g. recently UNC students were tracked from their Twitter account and were found that they had academic fraud (even though they didn't post that they had done it). It was found via circumstantial evidence.
Back to top Go down
Katie Eaton

Katie Eaton

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 12:39 pm

well I guess that is true. But it also has great benifits and long term relationships and other things. 8 ) : ) = ]
Back to top Go down
Christian Di Lorenzo
Christian Di Lorenzo

Number of posts : 91
Humor : Impromptu
Registration date : 2009-11-04

PostSubject: asdf   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Yes, I was just stating the downsides.
Back to top Go down
AshleyEaton

AshleyEaton

PostSubject: difficult   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 12:51 pm

this is hard to debate because everyone seems to agree that, while social networking sites are good as a whole if you post too much personal information it can be bad. maybe we could try something like:
free will/predestination
young earth/old earth creation
Back to top Go down
Katie Eaton

Katie Eaton

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 2:23 pm

I agree there are many downsides i.e. cyber bulling, crime and many more affraid but there are definitely benefits. cheers(see previous comment)
Back to top Go down
ali_n.

ali_n.

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 2:40 pm

I can totally relate with what both of you are saying, i've heard plenty of stories about the stuff people can find out with those websites, but still, they are a great way to keep in touch with people, like Ashley said. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Bethany

Bethany

Number of posts : 80
Humor : hmmm.....Mrs. Gray Perhaps...

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 7:21 pm

I agree with the statement because:

1. You can communicate and stay in touch with relatives and friends that are distant (or they might not live in your home)
2. You can share information that might interest others like events or something
3. Crooks (or just bad people) can find more about you when you don't want them to

I guess I'll start with that....do we have to find evidence to support our theory or opinion?
Back to top Go down
Sam Chase

Sam Chase

Number of posts : 42
Humor : Mmmmmmmmokay?

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 8:59 pm

I believe that social networking is both good and bad. The socialization aspect is great and gives kids a way to communicate with people, but the fact that kids are making Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter their ONLY way of communication with others is kind of scary. I wish they could be used more in moderation the they are today. Its just like texting. I firmly believe that we need to get our face out of the screens and LIVE! What happens when we completely stop talking and start only talking on our phones and computers? That is a scary thought isn't it? Besides, social sites are prime territory for internet predators and hackers. But like i said, social networking can also be good. I moved to North Carolina about five years ago, and social networking is a great way for me to catch up with my friends. Also, it can be used to keep people updated when something exciting happens. Or when someone is really sick. I recently met a kid who is using facebook to keep his friends updated as he recieves chemo treatment at UNC. I did so as well, and it was a great way to keep people up to date. So, all in all, I believe that social networking is epending on how you use it..
Back to top Go down
meredith

meredith

Number of posts : 32
Humor : Ha Ha Ha!

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 8:37 am

I think they are good because you can see how people are doing halfway around the world.
afro
Back to top Go down
Nathan W.

Nathan W.

Number of posts : 57
Humor : Tearing apart Christian's case ..uh..I mean..
Registration date : 2010-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 11:31 am

I believe social Networking sites are bad for society.

First: It takes so much time. Social Networking sites are incredible time hogger. People spend many useful hours "updating" their facebook page and checking what other "important" news others have posted, when instead they could be doing something to further God's kingdom.
Second: It deteriorates true friendships. Studies have shown that as social networking sites have become popular close friendships have gone down. Most people have hundreds of friends on facebook but in reality, are they really friends?
Third: It has become an addiction. Could you go without checking your social network for a day? Sounds easy doesn't it. When 200 hundred college students in the university of Maryland tried it, they exhibited all the signs of a strong addict being taken from the bottle.
Back to top Go down
Bethany

Bethany

Number of posts : 80
Humor : hmmm.....Mrs. Gray Perhaps...

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 12:46 pm

I agree with Nathan with this statement:

Quote :
"Third: It has become an addiction. Could you go without checking your social network for a day? Sounds easy doesn't it. When 200 hundred college students in the university of Maryland tried it, they exhibited all the signs of a strong addict being taken from the bottle."
Back to top Go down
Katie Eaton

Katie Eaton

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Me too Bethany
Back to top Go down
ali_n.

ali_n.

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 2:16 pm

I definately do agree that it can be very adictive...but, with moderation, like, only checking it once a day or something at the most, it should be okay, if you have any self control.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Social Networking sites are good for society!   Social Networking sites are good for society! Empty

Back to top Go down

Social Networking sites are good for society!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next