Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Original Sin

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
donna

Number of posts : 19
Humor : ?
Registration date : 2009-09-12

Original Sin Empty
PostSubject: Original Sin   Original Sin EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Hello, my name is Katie Eaton and the topic I have been asked to discuss today is: Explain the meaning and significance of original sin.

First, it is important to define original sin and explore its meaning
Because Adam and Eve chose to sin, all people are born into sin and have a tendency to sin. Original sin is the result from the Fall of Man, when Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil in the Garden of Eden. This first sin, the “evil” doings of Adam and Eve, is the cause of "original sin". Thus, “Original” Sin refers to the sin and guilt which has been imputed to us because of Adams sin.
An analogy to help clarify this would be the physical traits you inherit from your parents such as brown eyes, brown hair, the shape of your nose…All of these characteristics from your parents weren’t your choice, they were imprinted in your genetic code, and they are inherently part of your make-up. Similarly, man’s sin is “inherited” as a result of Adam’s sin.

There are two things which are passed on to us as a result of this original sin. The first is imputed guilt the other, as Grudem terms it, inherited corruption.
1) Imputed guilt
Romans 5:12
Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned

Many think it’s unfair to be included in Adam’s sin. After all, they are not the ones who sinned. The following three reasons counter this thinking:

• First, everyone has committed their own sins in addition to original sin.

• Second, anyone in Adam’s place would likely have done the same thing.

• And finally and most importantly, if it is unfair to be included in Adam’s sin then it’s also unfair to be included in Jesus’ righteousness. As demonstrated in:

Romans 5:19
For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

2) Inherited “Corruption”
Not only has sin been inherited from Adam, but also the tendency to sin.

When David looked back on his life he realized that he was sinful from the beginning. He knew even before he was born he had a sinful nature.

People do not need to be taught how to sin, anyone who has observed children can attest to this. A two year old child who has been told not to touch something will, at some point, proceed to touch it anyway. Children don’t learn to sin, they sin because it’s part of their nature.

People are not sinners because they’ve sinned, rather; they sin because they are sinners. Even from birth man is a sinner.

Note:

Before presenting a solution, it should be noted that having inherited sin doesn’t mean man can’t do anything good in society; people can do good things in education, development, and several other areas. What it means is they can do nothing good in their spiritual relationship with God.

According to Hebrews 11:6:
Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him

Wesley in one of his sermons states[Ye] were born in sin: Therefore, "[ye] must be born again," born of God. By nature [ye] are wholly corrupted. By grace [ye] shall be wholly renewed. In Adam [ye] all died: In the second Adam, in Christ, [ye] all are made alive.

This brings to the only possible solution because Jesus’ had a perfect and blameless life he didn’t sin being able to make us righteous through his death and resurrection.
Back to top Go down
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Original Sin Empty
PostSubject: Just a few comments   Original Sin EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 12:11 pm

Katie, Good work. Just a few comments to help this speech touch the heart!
I would like you to develop a bit of an introduction that serves to get our attention and transition into your points.

To get our attention you might want to think of something creative. For example... Could you lead into this speech by talking about a stain in your clothing? For example...

In my closet I have a very special pare of jeans that I have treasured for several years. They are perfectly in style, just the right shade of blue and they have great lines. Unfortunately I haven't worn these jeans in over a month because they have a huge grass stain on the knee. I've tried scrubbing the stain out and washing the jeans over and over, but nothing will take this stain away. I am sad to say that I will probably never wear my favorite jeans again. This persistent little stain has taken away this jeans value. Just like this stain has forever changed my beloved jeans, we also must deal with a very persistent and ugly reality as humans. This is the reality of original sin. Today I have been asked to explain the meaning and significance of original sin and I plan to do this by: defining this term, explaining how original sin is a problem for all, and finally explaining how a relationship with Jesus Christ is God's answer for dealing with original sin..... yada yada yada!

Just an idea. you can probably find an even better example or analogy.

Thanks
Mrs. Gray
Back to top Go down

Original Sin
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Speech and Debate :: Category 3 THE NATURE PURPOSE AND DESTINY OF MAN :: DEFINITIONS-
Jump to: