Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sexism... does it exist in LD debate?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Sexism... does it exist in LD debate? Empty
PostSubject: Sexism... does it exist in LD debate?   Sexism... does it exist in LD debate? EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 2:11 am

I'm anticipating some discussion on this one...
here is an interesting article written by NFL debaters...

http://debate.uvm.edu/NFL/rostrumlib/ldPickett%20and%20Scott0202.pdf

Please note that these articles discuss the issue from a decidedly "worldly" perspective... I would love to have everyone filter it through a Christian World view and formulate what you believe is a "correct" response to this question. Actually, I am just curious to hear your thoughts so don't be intimidated by the whole idea of being correct or incorrect.

If there is a problem... ie... Sexism does exist.... then what do you propose to be a solution...
If you don't believe there is a problem then how do you believe we can better keep it that way.
Back to top Go down
James C.

James C.

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Sexism... does it exist in LD debate?   Sexism... does it exist in LD debate? EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 11:59 am

Sexism does exist in LD, and in more then one form. First, judges do not like to see a guy "beating up" a girl. It's just a natural, and usually commendable, instinct.

Second, alot of guys don't want to "beat up" girls. I for one intentionally scale down my aggressiveness when debating a girl. This is partially because i don't want to come across as mean, but also because I don't like to aggressively rip a girl, even if its just her case.

I don't believe a solution exists. Other then getting judges to try and suppress their instincts, i can't see a viable way to stop it. Plus, most of the time, being disgruntled by a guy being aggessive toward a girl is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Adam Sprecher

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Sexism... does it exist in LD debate?   Sexism... does it exist in LD debate? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 12:38 pm

It just seems to me like aggressiveness is just part of debate. Guy debaters and girl debaters should both be aggressive. No one really needs to have their feelings hurt about it. debate is a competition, and doesn't it kinda obviously follow that in competition people are... well... competitive? How can you be competitive if you're not being aggressive?

Now of course it's wrong to be condescending or disrespectful but that's true no matter who you debate, guy or girl.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that aggressiveness towards an opponent's case and respect for the opponent aren't mutually exclusive.

And by the way: although i haven't exactly been to a lot of tournaments, I could see the content of both of those articles being true to some extent. Judges and debaters just have to realize the difference between ripping an opponent's case and ripping the opponent herself/himself.
Back to top Go down
Carl

Carl

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Sexism... does it exist in LD debate?   Sexism... does it exist in LD debate? EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 1:50 pm

Definetally is a huge aspect of LD. That's just how it is. A girl debater will probably have the better first impression, espessially if you get a judge that is a mom.
Also, a girl can get away with way more that a guy.
Back to top Go down

Sexism... does it exist in LD debate?
Page 1 of 1