Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Angles to consider for Negative

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Angles to consider for Negative Empty
PostSubject: Angles to consider for Negative   Angles to consider for Negative EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 7:38 pm

Basically there are 5 angles we need to consider when arguing against the affirmative.

1 We should not value Idealism over Pragmatism because Pragmatism is more valuable than Idealism.
2. We should not value Idealism over Pragmatism because doing so would be harmful
3. We should value Idealism equally with Pragmatism.
4. We shouldn't value Idealism over Pragmatism because they never come into conflict.
5. Idealism and Pragmatism are essentially the same thing.

If you access the red book you will see these outlined on page 26, however I have included one additional argument (#2) that I feel needs to be considered. It dove tails with # 3 but takes a bit of a more defensive approach. If we overvalue Idealism instead of valuing it equally with Pragmatism, problems occur.....

Here is an analogy that I have thought of for angel #3.
There is a famous saying by a french playwright Albert Camus

“Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”

I like the argument that says that Idealism must be valued equally with Pragmatism. I think this will be one of the most popular Negative arguments against affirmative cases.
Back to top Go down
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Angles to consider for Negative Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angles to consider for Negative   Angles to consider for Negative EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 12:27 am

Quote :
5. Idealism and Pragmatism are essentially the same thing.

Samuel's mom's comment in class helped me further get my mind around this argument. She said if something is pragmatic it works in the short term as well as the long term. Bottom line it works!

If you think about the definition of pragmatism as something that works efficiently in both the short and long term. We are essentially talking about an ideal or idealism...

Thus idealism and pragmatism could essentially be seen as the same thing.

I will say that this argument could be potentially mind boggling to many judges who have never considered the resolution. You would have to spend some time making your argument very clear. (not circular) Definitions would be absolutely key in the argumentation of this case.

Wow my head hurts... time to go to bed!
Back to top Go down

Angles to consider for Negative
Page 1 of 1