Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Affirmative Analogies

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Affirmative Analogies Empty
PostSubject: Affirmative Analogies   Affirmative Analogies EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 3:30 pm

In class we discussed the example of a "Bratty" toddler. We've all observed this in real life when a little two year old throws a tantrum because they want something they can't have. This is a perfect illustration of a CONFLICT. A conflict between parent and child and a conflict between what is right and what is wrong. A good parent knows that they run a very real risk if they reward or give into this child's tantrum simply to avoid the conflict. They realize that giving in may quiet the child down momentarily, but it will not work towards training him up in the way he should go!

Idealism wins!
Back to top Go down
Carl

Carl

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Affirmative Analogies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affirmative Analogies   Affirmative Analogies EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 12:44 pm

Imagine with me for a second that you are running a race. You are working towards the finish line. But what if the race officials decided that, since there were so many people running the race, it would be too crowded? So they got rid of the finish line. You would just keep on running, and never get to a destination.

The finish line, in this analogy, is an ideal that we work towards. The race officials made a pragmatic choice to do what worked at the time, robbing the runners of the ideal.

This is why I believe that my value, Human Rights, is best upheld by affirming the resolution, and that is why I stand resolved that in a conflict, Idealism ought to be valued above pragmatism.
Back to top Go down

Affirmative Analogies
Page 1 of 1