Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Katie's Affirmative Case 2010

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Katie Eaton

Katie Eaton

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2010-08-18

Katie's Affirmative Case 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Katie's Affirmative Case 2010   Katie's Affirmative Case 2010 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi my name is Katie Eaton and I’ll be you Affirmative speaker for this round.
Intro
Athens and Sparta were enemies for a long time, however, when they were being invaded by the Persians, they allied and fought together. They successfully drove them out. Later, the Persian king decided to attack again during the Olympics and the festival of Carneia. Considering it against their belief to fight during a religious holiday, the Athenians didn't want to go to war. The Spartans went out with the 300 men they could muster. Though they fought valiantly, they were defeated. When united, Athens and Sparta successfully repulsed the enemy, but divided, they were beaten.

It is because, as Aesop put it, “United we stand, divided we fall” that I believe that we should affirm the resolution.

Resolved: A government’s legitimacy is determined more by its respect for popular sovereignty than individual rights.

It is essential to define the key terms in this debate, not only to clarify this resolution but to provide parameters for this debate. Therefore, I present these definitions:

Government is defined by dictionary.com as: The form or system of rule by which a state, community, etc., is governed.

Legitimate is defined by dictionary.com as: In accordance with established rules, principles, or standards.

Respect is defined by dictionary.com as: The condition of being esteemed or honored.

Popular Sovereignty is defined by Encarta® World as: the doctrine that the people are sovereign and a government is subject to the will of the people.

Individual Rights is defined by dictionary.com as: The fundamental rights, especially those believed to belong to an individual and in whose exercise a government may not interfere.

Value:

My value today will be unity which is defined by Encarta® World Dictionary as: the combining or joining of separate things or entities to form one. When a government is united it is strong and able to withstand crises.

Criterion:

To uphold the value I propose Popular Sovereignty as my criterion or “bridge” to mu value or unity. Why is Popular Sovereignty necessary for unity to be upheld? The way we are unified is by people coming together to create a government and establish laws. Only when respecting the will of the people and giving them their rights is a government united. Popular Sovereignty leads to unity by the people joining together to give up a few of their rights to obtain the security and protection provided by a government. The people decide what they want and what is best for the individual, the state and the nation. The power is given to the people as is so memorably stated in the US Constitution, “We the people of the United States…”

Contentions:
Contention 1: Unity is the Key
"A house divided cannot stand" - Abraham Lincoln. When people unite, the government can be legitimate. This was evidenced during World War II when the Americans initially did not wish to enter the war; however, when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, they joined the Allied Forces to protect their citizens. The solidarity displayed by this action proved to be a winning combination for the Allies. As a result, American citizens were protected. When united we are strong.

Contention 2: Disunity leads to Calamity

In ancient China the Ghan people wanted control of China. Taking advantage of the disunity caused by the civil war in the Jin Dynasty, the contemporary Ghan ethnic group gained control of much of the country in the early 4th century. Because the people of the Jin Dynasty revolted, they were vulnerable and attacked by the Ghan people. Likewise, in the government, if individual rights are upheld above popular sovereignty then it may become vulnerable to attack. But, if popular sovereignty is held above individual rights, the government will be able to withstand attacks. When united, we are able to withstand what the world throws our way when divided, we fail to repel the attacks and fall into corruption.

Contention 3: Legitimacy Is Determined More By Unity

When people uphold individual rights, the people are divided. When people uphold popular sovereignty, they are united. If the government follows popular sovereignty, it has the ability to ensure our safety and hold us together by taking what the people want collectively and enacting it. Unfortunately, if t he government marginalizes popular sovereignty and elevates individual rights, it attempts to respect everyone. That can’t happen since individual rights are subjective and are determined by each person separately. A legitimate government doesn’t take away rights and ambitions rather a legitimate government is determined by how much power is given to the people-the sovereignty that it offers to the people.

Conclusion:

When I first mentioned Athens and Sparta, I brought up the fact that they unified and became strong enough to repel the Persians but divided, they were defeated. When we respect Popular Sovereignty above Individual Rights we are provided for by the government and kept free from attack. Furthermore, Popular Sovereignty unites a government when the people act together. Individual Rights divides a government by attempting to give each person what they want. Because people are so diverse, accomplishing that is an impossibility. When we uphold Popular Sovereignty we are unified and it is for that reason that I stand resolved that a government’s legitimacy is determined more by its respect for popular sovereignty than individual rights. And now, because as my contentions state, unity is the key, disunity leads to calamity and legitimacy is determined more by unity that I urge a Negative ballot. Thank you I now stand ready for Cross-Examination.

Last edited by Katie Eaton on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Christian Di Lorenzo
Christian Di Lorenzo

Number of posts : 91
Humor : Impromptu
Registration date : 2009-11-04

PostSubject: Cross Examination   Katie's Affirmative Case 2010 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 6:27 pm

1. Does popular sovereignty always uphold even basic individual rights, such as the right to privacy?
  2. In history has popular sovereignty always acheived the common good?
  3. Do you think that you should murder me, if it was for the sake of unity?
  4. Do people agree on some individual rights?
  5. Can there be unity where people don't agree?
  6. Do people agree on everything?
  7. Are there examples in history where disunity, that is not full unity, hasn't lead to calamity?
Back to top Go down
Alex4JC

Alex4JC

Number of posts : 69
Humor : I love a good joke
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Katie's Affirmative Case 2010   Katie's Affirmative Case 2010 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 11:42 pm

Your value is unity, correct? and in order for a government to be legitimate it must be united, correct? If a government is not unified (and illegitimate according to you) is it necessary for the government to remove the cause?
Back to top Go down
Katie Eaton

Katie Eaton

PostSubject: Re: Katie's Affirmative Case 2010   Katie's Affirmative Case 2010 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 10:00 am

1. Does popular sovereignty always uphold even basic individual rights, such as the right to privacy? yes
2. In history has popular sovereignty always achieved the common good? no
3. Do you think that you should murder me, if it was for the sake of unity? no
4. Do people agree on some individual rights? yes
5. Can there be unity where people don't agree? yes
6. Do people agree on everything? no
7. Are there examples in history where disunity, that is not full unity, hasn't lead to calamity? yes

* Your value is unity, correct? (yes) and in order for a government to be legitimate it must be united, correct? (yes) If a government is not unified (and illegitimate according to you) is it necessary for the government to remove the cause? no
Back to top Go down
Alex4JC

Alex4JC

Number of posts : 69
Humor : I love a good joke
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Katie's Affirmative Case 2010   Katie's Affirmative Case 2010 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 4:19 pm

So you are saying that if the government does not remove that cuase, the government remains legitimate?
Back to top Go down
Katie Eaton

Katie Eaton

PostSubject: sorry   Katie's Affirmative Case 2010 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 6:37 pm

oh, hey I wanted to let everyone know that I re checked the example and I discovered that I got it wrong (thankfully) and it is now edited...sorry about that!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Katie's Affirmative Case 2010   Katie's Affirmative Case 2010 Empty

Back to top Go down

Katie's Affirmative Case 2010
Page 1 of 1