AuthorMessage
Andrew Smith

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-09-01

PostSubject: Andrew Smith's Aff Case   Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Affirmative Case
by Andrew Smith

Introduction:
Alfred Emanuel Smith said, “The term democracy indicates a form of government where all the state's decisions are exercised directly or indirectly by a majority of its citizenry through a fair elective process. When these factors are met a government can be classified as such. This can apply to a multitude of government systems as these concepts transcend and often occur concomitantly with other types. Democracy is a political system which has many different meanings and can take different forms. It is often incorrectly used as a synonym for capitalism. Fundamentally, it means a government of, by and for the people. It's not the voting that's democracy, it's the counting.” He is essentially saying democracy is a system of government by which the majority votes in a fair elective process. He is also saying that democracy is of, by and for the people. For this reason, I am in support of this year’s resolution. Resolved: A government’s legitimacy is determined more by its respect for popular sovereignty than individual rights.

Definitions:
I would like to expound several terms for you today, before I continue with my affirmative speech. –Princeton Online Dictionary
Government: the system or form by which a community or other political unit is governed. –Princeton Online Dictionary
Legitimacy: The property of being genuine or valid, not being a fake or forgery. –Princeton Online Dictionary
Popular Sovereignty: a doctrine in political theory that government is created by and subject to the will of the people. –Merriam Webster Dictionary
Individual: being an individual or existing as an indivisible whole. -Merriam Webster Dictionary
Right: the power or privilege to which one is justly entitled. –Merriam Webster Dictionary

Value:
Today my value is democracy. If there is no democracy, there cannot be freedom, liberty, unity, or anything else that democracy offers. My criterion is popular sovereignty, because a government is legitimate when is has the assent of the populous.

1st Contention: Consent of the people Legitimizes
If the majority of the people give consent to something, and the government does the action the people want, that government is completely legitimate. This is shown every four years when the United Sates let the people vote for a president. If the majority of Americans vote for a certain president and the government put that person into office that government is considered legitimate. This illustrates to us how popular sovereignty makes a government legitimate not individual rights.

2nd Contention: A legitimate government will take away individual rights if doing so will improve or protect the country
If I were to walk into an airport security area with a gun I would most likely be tasered or shot. Why would this happen if the 2nd amendment clearly states that I have a right to bear arms? The answer is because the safety of our nation is far more important than individual rights. The US government has regulations on guns in airports. However that rule is not in vain, it is there to protect the general welfare of the people. This shows that popular sovereignty is far more important than individual rights.

3rd Contention: Democracy has upheld popular sovereignty thousands of years
Democracy has its origins in Ancient Greece, and it is working very well in America today. Democracy has been very successful over a long period of time, and it upholds one main concept: popular sovereignty. Democracy is a government by the people and for the people and that is what popular sovereignty means as well.

Conclusion:
I have stated three contentions, they are: consent of the people legitimizes, a legitimate government will take away individual rights if doing so will improve or protect the country, Democracy has upheld popular sovereignty thousands of years. A government’s legitimacy is determined by its respect for popular sovereignty because of those things. For those reasons I strongly urge you to affirm the resolution.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Christian Di Lorenzo

Number of posts : 91
Humor : Impromptu
Registration date : 2009-11-04

PostSubject: Cross-X Question   Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Is it possible for people to disagree with the government and for it still to be legitiment?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andrew Smith

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Smith's Aff Case   Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:31 pm

As long as the government is is doing everything for the benefit for the people it is legitimate. If it stops being "of the people, for the people, and by the people" then is is not legitimate anymore. For example: the US government has put a law on the drinking age. I bet thousands maybe millions of teenagers and adults disagree with this law. The US government is doing this to make a better government not to aggravate the people. They are doing it for the good of the people, which therefore makes the action legitimate.
-Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Christian Di Lorenzo

Number of posts : 91
Humor : Impromptu
Registration date : 2009-11-04

PostSubject: Cross-X Question   Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Are individual rights genuine and valid?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Compton

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Smith's Aff Case   Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:30 pm

Why is there no unity without democracy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alex4JC

Number of posts : 69
Humor : I love a good joke

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Smith's Aff Case   Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:06 pm

You are saying the it is okay for a government to take away an individual's right if it is for the benefeit of the majority?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andrew Smith

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Smith's Aff Case   Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:34 am

@Christian, yes.
@mark, i don't understand you question
@Alex, yes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alex4JC

Number of posts : 69
Humor : I love a good joke

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Smith's Aff Case   Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:05 am

Who has the authority to take their rights away? Is the government always right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bethany

Number of posts : 80
Humor : hmmm.....Mrs. Gray Perhaps...

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Smith's Aff Case   Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:07 am

Quote :
Value:
Today my value is democracy. If there is no democracy, there cannot be freedom, liberty, unity, or anything else that democracy offers. My criterion is popular sovereignty, because a government is legitimate when is has the assent of the populous.

What Mark is basically saying is why is there no unity without democracy? Why do you have to have democracy to have unity?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Andrew Smith's Aff Case   

Back to top Go down

Andrew Smith's Aff Case
Page 1 of 1