Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Affirmative Quotes here

Go down 
+10
ARandazzo
AshleyEaton
ali_n.
Nathan W.
Alex4JC
Bethany
Katie Eaton
meredith
Christian Di Lorenzo
mrs. gray
14 posters
AuthorMessage
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Affirmative Quotes here Empty
PostSubject: Affirmative Quotes here   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:44 pm

Click Answer to post affirmative quotes here.
Back to top Go down
Christian Di Lorenzo
Christian Di Lorenzo

Number of posts : 91
Humor : Impromptu
Registration date : 2009-11-04

PostSubject: Aff Quote   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Aff Quote
“Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be.” - Sydney J. Harris
Back to top Go down
meredith

meredith

Number of posts : 32
Humor : Ha Ha Ha!
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Aff. Quotes   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 11:14 am

"Has it [popular sovereignty] not got down as thin as the homeopathic soup that was made by boiling the shadow of a pigeon that had starved to death?"

Abraham Lincoln

Does this affirm or negate the resolution Question

Last edited by meredith on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Christian Di Lorenzo
Christian Di Lorenzo

Number of posts : 91
Humor : Impromptu
Registration date : 2009-11-04

PostSubject: Question?   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 11:58 am

I thought that the affirmative was for popular sovereignty not individual rights.
Back to top Go down
Katie Eaton

Katie Eaton

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Affirmative Quotes here   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 2:00 pm

“The source of power is popular sovereignty, not a divine right to rule. While popular sovereignty -- as the Declaration of Independence announces -- presupposes that the people were ‘endowed by their creator’ with their rights, the American state was not conceived as an arm of God.” – Washington Post
Back to top Go down
Bethany

Bethany

Number of posts : 80
Humor : hmmm.....Mrs. Gray Perhaps...

PostSubject: Re: Affirmative Quotes here   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 2:04 pm

"All good government is and must be republican. But at the same time, you can or will agree with me, that there is not in lexicography a more fraudulent word... Are we not, my friend, in danger of rendering the word republican unpopular in this country by an indiscreet, indeterminate, and equivocal use of it? [...] Whenever I use the word republic with approbation, I mean a government in which the people have collectively, or by representation, an essential share in the sovereignty... the republican forms in Poland and Venice are much worse, and those of Holland and Bern very little better, than the monarchical form in France before the late revolution." - John Adams

Last edited by Bethany on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot the Quotation marks!!)
Back to top Go down
Alex4JC

Alex4JC

Number of posts : 69
Humor : I love a good joke

PostSubject: Re: Affirmative Quotes here   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 2:51 pm

"Bad ideas flourish because they are in the interest of powerful groups.”
– Paul Krugman (Nobel Prize winner for Economics and Politics)

“People have so manipulated the concept of freedom that it finally boils down to the right of the stronger and richer to take from the weaker and poorer whatever they still have.”
– Theodor Adorno (Important German Philosopher and Social Scritic)

"The jaws of power are always open to devour, and her arm is always stretched out, if possible, to destroy the freedom of thinking, speaking, and writing."
-John Adams on Indiviual Rights

I'd post more, but I'll save some for other peopl
Back to top Go down
Nathan W.

Nathan W.

Number of posts : 57
Humor : Tearing apart Christian's case ..uh..I mean..
Registration date : 2010-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Affirmative Quotes here   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 12:25 pm

“In a democracy the poor will have more power than the rich, because there are more of them, and the will of the majority is supreme.”-Aristotle
Back to top Go down
ali_n.

ali_n.

Number of posts : 58
Location : reality - its a lovely place but i don't like living there
Humor : original fairytales: death, horror, now sweet dreams kids!
Registration date : 2010-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Affirmative Quotes here   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 1:07 pm

“The source of power is popular sovereignty, not a divine right to rule. While popular sovereignty -- as the Declaration of Independence announces -- presupposes that the people were ‘endowed by their creator’ with their rights, the American state was not conceived as an arm of God.” – Washington Post,

makethemaccountable.com/misc/quoteshtm
Back to top Go down
AshleyEaton

AshleyEaton

Number of posts : 50
Humor : Anything witty or fun or silly (not super picky)
Registration date : 2010-08-24

PostSubject: Aff. Quotes   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 11:36 am

“Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be.”
-Sydney Harris (journalist/author)

Democracy is the government of the people, by the people, for the people”
-Abraham Lincoln

"In free governments, the rulers are the servants and the people their superiors and sovereigns."
-Benjamin Franklin

To speak of popular sovereignty is to place ultimate authority in the people. There are a variety of ways in which sovereignty may be expressed. It may be immediate in the sense that the people make the law themselves, or mediated through representatives who are subject to election and recall; it may be ultimate in the sense that the people have a negative or veto over legislation, or it may be something much less dramatic. In short, popular sovereignty covers a multitude of institutional possibilities. In each case, however, popular sovereignty assumes the existence of some form of popular consent, and it is for this reason that every definition of republican government implies a theory of consent.
-Donald Lutz

Back to top Go down
ARandazzo

ARandazzo

Number of posts : 12
Humor : Tim Hawkins

PostSubject: Re: Affirmative Quotes here   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Quote from John Adams

"All good government is and must be republican. But at the same time, you can or will agree with me, that there is not in lexicography a more fraudulent word... Are we not, my friend, in danger of rendering the word republican unpopular in this country by an indiscreet, indeterminate, and equivocal use of it? [...] Whenever I use the word republic with approbation, I mean a government in which the people have collectively, or by representation, an essential share in the sovereignty... the republican forms in Poland and Venice are much worse, and those of Holland and Bern very little better, than the monarchical form in France before the late revolution."

Back to top Go down
http://www.christianfriendsproductions.com
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

PostSubject: Answering a question   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Quote :
"Has it [popular sovereignty] not got down as thin as the homeopathic soup that was made by boiling the shadow of a pigeon that had starved to death?"

Abraham Lincoln

Instead of me answering Meridith's question "Does this support or negate the resolution.......(smile)

I would like everyone to do a bit of research on when Abraham Lincoln said this quote. In doing so you will uncover a huge historical application that makes this quote come alive. Hint.... Who does Lincoln debate? What was this person's opinions on Popular Sovereignty?
Back to top Go down
Bethany

Bethany

Number of posts : 80
Humor : hmmm.....Mrs. Gray Perhaps...

PostSubject: Re: Affirmative Quotes here   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 8:53 am

He debated Stephen Douglas.

His opinions on popular sovereignty was that it was a good thing. He wanted the majority to vote for slavery with popular sovereignty

Was I supposed to post this or not?

Last edited by Bethany on Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MichaelC

MichaelC

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Affirmative Quotes here   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 10:59 am

As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy - Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Go down
Rebekah Mackin

Rebekah Mackin

Number of posts : 66
Humor : umm????idk hahaha...OoooOO OWOWOW OW CHARLIE that really hurt!!!
Registration date : 2009-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Affirmative Quotes here   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 1:52 pm

>“The source of power is popular sovereignty, not a divine right to rule. While popular sovereignty -- as the Declaration of Independence announces -- presupposes that the people were ‘endowed by their creator’ with their rights, the American state was not conceived as an arm of God.”
–Washington Post, August 12, 2002

>Democracy is the government of the people, by the people, for the people”
-Abraham Lincoln

>"All good government is and must be republican. But at the same time, you can or will agree with me, that there is not in lexicography a more fraudulent word... Are we not, my friend, in danger of rendering the word republican unpopular in this country by an indiscreet, indeterminate, and equivocal use of it? [...] Whenever I use the word republic with approbation, I mean a government in which the people have collectively, or by representation, an essential share in the sovereignty... the republican forms in Poland and Venice are much worse, and those of Holland and Bern very little better, than the monarchical form in France before the late revolution."
-John Adams

>"In free governments, the rulers are the servants and the people their superiors and sovereigns."
-Benjamin Franklin
Back to top Go down
NateBrick

NateBrick

Number of posts : 19
Humor : Oh... dear... I think I left my sense of humor at home. Woops.

PostSubject: Re: Affirmative Quotes here   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 1:52 pm

"A house divided cannot stand"
Abe Lincoln
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52279399@N07/
Sam Chase

Sam Chase

Number of posts : 42
Humor : Mmmmmmmmokay?
Registration date : 2010-09-01

PostSubject: Affirmative Quotes   Affirmative Quotes here EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 10:32 am

"United we stand, divided we fall" -Aesop

"Sovereignty, for the same reason as makes it inalieanable, is indivisible; for will either is, or is not, general; it is the will either of the body of the people, or only part of it. In the first case, the will, when declared, is an act of sovereignty and constitutes law: in the second, it is merely a particular will, or act of magistracy--- at the most degree." -Jean-Jacques Rousseau (I also realize that rousseau was not Christian, but he wrote a whole contract on sovereignty and things related to it. I think he knows what he is talking about.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Affirmative Quotes here   Affirmative Quotes here Empty

Back to top Go down

Affirmative Quotes here
Page 1 of 1