Share | 

4/2/02 Man right God keep 10 comandments

Go down 
AuthorMessage
donna

Number of posts : 19
Humor : ?
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: 4/2/02 Man right God keep 10 comandments   Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:41 pm

Hi my name is Ashley Eaton and I have broken every one of the Ten Commandments save two (so far), today I have been requested to discuss the question, “Can a man become right with God by keeping the 10 commandments?” I will lead you through three questions to bring us to a conclusion about this topic. First we will discuss can a man keep all of the 10 commandments? If all have sinned can a man be right with God? And, if the Law cannot keep us right God what is its purpose?
Can a man keep all of the Ten Commandments?
The way of the master uses a great tool to determine the answer to my first point. Can a man keep all of the 10 commandments? I will employ it here, have you ever lied? Have you ever stolen anything? Have you ever used God’s name as a word of slander or misused it? Have you ever worked on the Sabbath? Have you ever looked on a person with lust, the Bible says that if you have adultery has already been committed in the heart. Ever wanted something that wasn’t yours? Have you ever hated anyone, God counts that as murder. Have you always been respectful to your parents? Has there ever been anything that you would sin to get, or sin if you don’t get? That thing is an idol because it is respected above God. Is it possible to keep all of the Ten Commandments? Succinctly put no, human nature makes this impossible. As stated in scripture, because of Adam and Eve’s poor decision to sin all people are born in sin with tendencies to sin. The scripture Romans 3:23 states this clearly, it says “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”. It is absolutely impossible to keep every one of the 10 commandments.
If all have sinned can a man be right with God?
In Habakkuk 1:13 it says:"Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; you cannot tolerate wrong".
Because He is Holy, God cannot overlook any sin we commit, regardless of how small it is.
According to Jerry Bridges, "If we truly grasp the significance of God's perfect holiness, both in Himself and in His demands of us, we readily see we can never justify before Him even the slightest deviation from His perfect will."
We may be better than someone else, in that we sin less than they do. However, unless we have absolute perfection, we cannot make it in the terms that God has established and in light of His own character.
Paul Little gave a great illustration which helps to clarify this point. "A commercial airplane crashed into a mountain while trying to land at Las Vegas in a snowstorm. The most tragic thing about the crash was that it occurred only a few feet from the top of the mountain. Another few feet and the plane would have made it over the mountain, but all of those people were dead as if they had crashed a thousand feet further down. Though there are differences in morality, absolute perfection is required in God's sight.
If the Law cannot keep us right God what is its purpose?
Imagine that you have just cleaned wooden table, wiped off all of the dust and draw back the curtains to let in the sunlight. What do you see? Dust is, in the air, on the walls, and on the table. The light didn’t create the dust it merely exposed it. When a person examines the Ten Commandments his or her true character is revealed. The law is like a light revealing the sins in our life like it says in Romans 7:13 “Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! But in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it produced death in me through what was good, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.” In a footnote for this verse McArther stated, “Sin is the cause of spiritual, death not the good law. An awareness of the true nature of sin and its deadly character, which brings the sinner to see the need for salvation-the very purpose of God intended the law to serve.
Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. Romans 3:19-20
In summation the Law cannot be perfectly obeyed, and therefore through the Ten Commandments man can’t become right with God. Since God already knew man could not perfectly obey the Law, and knew man would stumble. What is their purpose? It is to reveal sin and hold man accountable. None can become right with God by keeping the Ten Commandments.

Last edited by donna on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : new title needed)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottwylie

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-11-17

PostSubject: Comments   Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:18 am

Good job Ashley. I think your speech is strong. When you discuss the need for the law, you are correct - it is to point out our sin. Related to that is the idea that it shows us our need for God. It is not just to make us feel bad or know we did wrong. It points us to the one who saves us.

This might be a way to end your speech on a very upbeat and positive tone. The law is a blessing to us because we would not know we needed God if He had not given us His law.

Great job!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

4/2/02 Man right God keep 10 comandments
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Speech and Debate :: Category 4 SALVATION OR HOW TO KNOW GOD :: QUESTIONS-
Jump to: