Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Apologetic Speech Category 2 General Question #4(Rebekah)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rebekah Mackin

Rebekah Mackin

Number of posts : 66
Humor : umm????idk hahaha...OoooOO OWOWOW OW CHARLIE that really hurt!!!
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Apologetic Speech Category 2 General Question #4(Rebekah) Empty
PostSubject: Apologetic Speech Category 2 General Question #4(Rebekah)   Apologetic Speech Category 2 General Question #4(Rebekah) EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 am

Advice appreciated

Today I have been asked the question, “How can the Bible be trustworthy when it has been translated so many times?” Here is an illustration to keep in mind. Most of us have probably played the game telephone, where you have a phrase in your mind then you pass it on by whispering it to your neighbor and they pass it on in the same way and so on until it reaches the end and the phrases is usually different from when it started. This game is similar to what might happen when we translate the Bible through many different people over many generations. But is that so? I would say no! As I will show in my 3 points today, I believe that God’s word remains true in spite of human intervention. (Thesis)My three points will prove that the Bible is trustworthy after being translated so many times.
My first point is that God inspires the Word for His purpose. 2 Timothy 3:16 says; “All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;” In this passage the word ‘inspired’ according to Strong’s concordance is not only something God does but is who God is. The Greek word theosebeia (theh-os-eb-i-ah) meaning ‘deity’ therefore God is not just doing something as a verb but is also being used as a way to describe Himself in this passage.
Clearly, in this verse we can see that even though man has translated the Bible so many times, God has still been able to use His Word in our lives.
My second point is that the Holy Spirit illuminates the Word. 2 Peter 1:21 says; “for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke God.” In this verse God is saying that when the Bible was written it was not just some men and women who were like let’s go write a book about God, NO, the Holy Spirit moved in all their hearts to want to write the Bible. Therefore, the Bible was written by God who was put in man to write.
My third and final point is that Jesus protects the Word an IS the Word. Matthew 5:18 says; “For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from Law until all is accomplished.” In this verse we can see the Jesus is the word, is watching over it, and sees it to its end. Here again we see that Jesus IS the word. Hebrews 13:8 says; “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.” Therefore, if Jesus is the word, and if Hebrews 13:8 says that will never change, then His word will NEVER change.
In conclusion, I have presented my side of the case that the Bible is trustworthy no matter how many times it has been translated. I have shown that God inspires man and that He Himself is inspiration, that the Holy Spirit illuminates the Word, and that Jesus Himself is the Word and stays the same. Thou man may make mistakes with the Word, we can trust that God, the Holy Spirit, and Jesus will keep it pure.

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-11-17

PostSubject: Need Help?   Apologetic Speech Category 2 General Question #4(Rebekah) EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 7:30 am

If we can make arrangements, I have a one hour DVD lecture that would be helpful on the authority of Scripture.
Back to top Go down
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

PostSubject: sign posting / forecasting your speech points   Apologetic Speech Category 2 General Question #4(Rebekah) EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 10:11 am

Bekah, One suggestion I might make to improve your speech is to forecast your points in your introduction.

Quote :
s I will show in my 3 points today, I believe that God’s word remains true in spite of human intervention. (Thesis)My three points will prove that the Bible is trustworthy after being translated so many times.

You could say: Today I will discuss three points to make my argument clear:
God inspires the Word for His purpose
the Holy Spirit illuminates the Word
Jesus protects the Word and IS the Word

In addition to this suggestion I think this speech would really POP if it had some additional mention of the anthropological evidence that supports this argument and a brief mention of what historians use to verify authenticity.

I believe I watched the video that Scott mentioned and I agree that this would be helpful to view.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apologetic Speech Category 2 General Question #4(Rebekah)   Apologetic Speech Category 2 General Question #4(Rebekah) Empty

Back to top Go down

Apologetic Speech Category 2 General Question #4(Rebekah)
Page 1 of 1