Share | 

5/2/07 Jesus deity because death or God beginning

Go down 
AuthorMessage
donna

Number of posts : 19
Humor : ?
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: 5/2/07 Jesus deity because death or God beginning   Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:37 am

Hello, my name is Ashley Eaton and the question I have been asked to respond to today is Did Jesus attain deity by his sacrificial death or was he God from the beginning? To give the simple answer to the question He was God from the beginning. The reason for such a response will be demonstrated through the following 4 areas.

First, Jesus was God from the beginning-
Next, He was God from his birth-
Then, He showed his divinity through his attributes while on earth-
Last, Why his divinity was necessary

First, Jesus was God From the Beginning
“In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God, he was in the beginning with God. Through him all things were made, without him nothing was made that had been made” John 1:1-3 these verses demonstrate that Jesus was God from the beginning of creation.

His presence is also revealed in Genesis 1:26 which states “Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." Take a particular notice of how God states “let US create man” referring to the entire trinity INCLUDING Christ having part in the creation demonstrating that Jesus was God theSon since the beginning.

Next, He was God from His Birth
In Luke 1:35 The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.” From this, Christ’s divinity was established from birth.

The Attributes of God
During the ministry of Jesus, He displayed multiple attributes of God. Wayne Grudem highlights several of these in his Systematic Theology:

-The first attribute he mentioned is Christ’s omnipotence displayed when he calmed the storm on the sea of Galilee with only his words. Also, he multiplied loaves of bread, turned water into wine and he had the power in him to work miracles.

-The second attribute discussed is His eternality as demonstrated in John 8: 57-58 "You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!" "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

-Thirdly, Jesus displays His omniscience in John 6:64 which says: “Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him.” He also knew the thoughts of others as shown in Mark 2:8 “Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this was what they were thinking in their hearts, and he said to them, "Why are you thinking these things?”

-The final attribute displayed is Jesus’ being worthy of worship. In Hebrews 1:6 Scripture indicates: “ And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, "Let all God's angels worship him."

There are 3 main reasons why Jesus’ deity before his death was important

1) Only one who is infinite and perfect could bear the full penalty for the sins of all those who would believe him
2) As stated in Jonah 2:9” Salvation comes from the LORD”
3) Only one who is God could act as a mediator between God and man. 1 Timothy 2:5 states: “For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.”

In Conclusion
I hope to have shown in the past few minutes that before the beginning, Jesus was God and not simply since his sacrificial death. Throughout His entire existence he was God.
-Jesus was God during the creation
-He was God at his birth
-He showed his divinity through his attributes

CSLewis stated it succinctly when he said, “Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God because He said so.” Christ claimed his deity even before his death. Thank you.

Last edited by donna on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

5/2/07 Jesus deity because death or God beginning
Page 1 of 1