Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tiffany's speech

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tiffany Farrell

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-09-12

Tiffany's speech Empty
PostSubject: Tiffany's speech   Tiffany's speech EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 6:32 pm

Topic: Dogs can positively effect your life.
Purpose of speech: To inform people why dogs are man’s best friend.
Intended audience: Speech class.
Attention getting intro:
Opal was a pastors daughter in a small town. Her mother had left the family and she had no siblings. One day while shopping at the grocery store she rescued a stray dog who was running loose in the store. She named him Winn Dixie and he brought adventure and friendship to her life.
What is your thesis:
Dogs can positively effect your life.
Please summarizes your major points:
Dogs can provide unconditional love, assistances, and help you learn responsibility.
First point:
Dogs provide unconditional love and friendship.
Support for first point:
The story of Hachiko and Eisaburo in Japan. This story is about a Hachiko’s loyalty to his master even after his masters death. http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/dog-best-friend1.htm
Second point:
Dogs can be great assistances to people.
Support for second point:
People who are handicapped have service dogs to help them with their daily life. Thousands of service dogs are used a year for service dogs.
Third point:
Pets can help you learn responsibility.
Support for third point:

Caesar Millian The dog whisperer.

Summarize of my speech:
Even though dogs can sometimes be hard to take care of, they can teach you responsibility, unconditional love, friendship and assistances.

Speech -

In the book “Because of Winnie-Dixie” by Kate DiCamillo she tells of a little girl named Opal who doesn’t have any friends. Opal is a pastor’s daughter in a small town. Her mother has left the family and she has no siblings. One day while shopping at the grocery store she rescues a stray dog that is running loose in the store. She names him Winn-Dixie and he brings adventure and friendship to her life. Dogs can positively affect your life. They can provide unconditional love, assistances, and help you learn responsibility.
Dogs can provide unconditional love and friendship. Japan’s state dog is an Akita, named Hachiko. His master was Professor Eisaburo Ueno. Everyday he rode a train to work and Hachiko went with him to the train station. And everyday when the professor came back Hachiko would always be there to greet him when he came off the train. One day Professor Eisaburo died at work and never returned to the train station. Even though the professor never returned to the train station, Hachiko went to the station everyday waiting for his master, but he was never there. Hachiko did this everyday for eight years until he died. Today there is a statue of Hachiko that reminds the Japanese of the dog that gave unconditional love to his master. This is just one of the many stories that shows friendship between a master and his dog.
Another way dogs can positively affect your life is when you are handicapped or have any special needs. They are very helpful in many ways. Service dogs can be used for people in wheelchairs, those who are blind or deaf, and people that have seizures. Rescue teams also used professionally trained dogs to assist them. Chris Hyatt is a forty-two year old quadriplegic from Austin, Texas who has a service dog named JJ. JJ assists Chris by picking up dropped items, opening and closing doors, and keeping him active and social. Chris says that his life has been drastically improved by having JJ.
Having a dog can teach you responsibility in many ways. As their owner they are solely dependent on you for all of their needs. You have to plan your day around the needs of your dog and make sure they get exercise and are fed everyday. Along with caring for their daily needs you have to be responsible for their medical needs. The financial responsibility can be expensive and you need to make sure that you have enough money to provide for their care. Being responsible for your dog also includes proper behavioral training. Cesar Millan says, “In the absence of a clear leader, a dog, even a submissive one, will seek to fill what they see as the vacant leadership role. The dog will ignore the owner, act out, and can lead to serious behavior issues.” It’s important to be your dogs pack leader and treat them as a dog and not like a four legged human.
As you can see there are many ways dogs can positively affect your life. It’s not always a walk in the park, but if they are trained the right way and are exercised daily they can become a great companion.

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/tips/retrain_humanizing.php
http://www.servicedogs.org/testimonials/index.html
Back to top Go down
mrs. gray
Admin
mrs. gray

Number of posts : 174
Humor : LOVES TO LAUGH!
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Tiffany's speech Empty
PostSubject: Great start Tiffany!   Tiffany's speech EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 9:57 pm

Tiffany, This is a great start on your speech. Here are a few quick suggestions. Please don't feel pressure to get this done before Wednesday as I know you've got a lot on your plate right now.

Quote :
In the book “Because of Winnie-Dixie” by Kate DiCamillo she tells of a little girl named Opal who doesn’t have any friends. Opal is a pastor’s daughter in a small town. Her mother has left the family and she has no siblings. One day while shopping at the grocery store she rescues a stray dog that is running loose in the store. She names him Winn-Dixie and he brings adventure and friendship to her life. Dogs can positively affect your life. They can provide unconditional love, assistances, and help you learn responsibility.

I love the start you have here. My biggest suggestion at this point would be to make this speech more personal. For example you could start by saying. One of my all time favorite books is a book entitled, "Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo. In this book the author tells( ............yada yada what you said was great....)
I can relate to this book because I am a girl who loves dogs and I've been trying to persuade my parents for the past several months that I should be allowed to own one.... I've come up with 3 main reasons to support my firm belief that Dog's can make a positive impact on a person's life. First Dog's can offer their owners unconditional love, 2nd they can provide help and assistance, and third they can help young people learn responsibility.

As you go through the rest of your speech think of additional ways that you can input personal points to support your major arguments.

The reason I want you to consider making this speech more personal is to ensure that you don't miss the "pathos" (emotional impact) that is needed to persuade your audience. Your speech shows great research, but we want it to touch the listeners heart. You will do this if you make it more personal.
I look forward to working with you to help you touch into this concept.
Back to top Go down
Tiffany Farrell

Tiffany's speech Empty
PostSubject: Tiffany's speech after it was edited.   Tiffany's speech EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 3:28 pm

In one of my favorite books “Because of Winnie-Dixie” author Kate DiCamillo tells of a pastor’s daughter named Opal who doesn't have any friends or siblings and whose mother has left the family. One day on an errand to the grocery store, Opal finds a stray dog in the produce department. After realizing that the dog would be sent to the pound she claims him as her dog and names him after the grocery store, Winn-Dixie. He provides friendship to Opal and she learns lessons and responsibility by taking care of him. She gets a part time job at a pet store to help take care of Winn-Dixie. Opal has to deal with Winn-Dixie’s phobia of thunder and teach him obedience so that he can follow her to church and into town. I can relate to this story because I’ve always wanted a dog that I can rely on and go to for comfort. In this speech I will tell of three main points that dogs can positively affect your life first they can provide unconditional love to their owners, second dogs can assist you in many ways, and third they are a great opportunity to teach young people responsibility. Today I will tell about personal stories and of other people that have had a dog positively affect their life.
One of the ways dogs can positively affect your life is by providing unconditional love and friendship. Japan’s state dog is an Akita, named Hachiko. His master was Professor Eisaburo Ueno. Everyday he rode a train to work and Hachiko went with him to the train station. And everyday when the professor came back Hachiko would always be there to greet him when he came off the train. One day Professor Eisaburo died at work and never returned to the train station. Hachiko went to the station everyday waiting for his master, but he was never there. Hachiko did this everyday for eight years until he died. Today there is a statue of Hachiko that reminds the Japanese of the dog that gave unconditional love to his master. This is just one of the many stories that shows friendship between a master and his dog. Dogs don’t care if you are rich or poor, beautiful or plain, young or old, sick or healthy, they just want to be your unconditional friend. You don’t have to worry about trying to impress your dog or even being a perfect master. They are very forgiving and don’t hold grudges. When you have a hard time making friends you can always count on your dog!
Another way dogs can positively affect your life is by providing assistance with special needs. Dogs can be trained to serve in many ways. Service dogs can be used for people in wheelchairs, those who are blind or deaf, and people that have seizures. Rescue teams also use professionally trained dogs to assist them. Chris Hyatt is a forty-two year old quadriplegic from Austin, Texas who has a service dog named JJ. He assists Chris by picking up dropped items, opening and closing doors, and keeping him active and social. Chris says that his life has been drastically improved by having JJ. The news is filled with stories of dogs that have saved their master’s life. Dogs are very loyal and protective and are happy serving their master. Dogs can be difficult to deal with if you are not allowing them to fulfill their needs to serve. Cesar Millan a famous dog trainer says “Give your dog a job! Having a task to focus on can help tremendously. Hyperactivity can come from psychological needs as easily as it can from physical needs. By giving your dog a job to do, you are removing him from his state of hyperactivity and redirecting his energy elsewhere.” Allowing your dog to serve you keeps them healthy and happy. While providing you with a much needed service.
Learning responsibility is another positive affect of having a dog. Your dog is solely dependent on you for all of their needs. You have to plan your day around the needs of your dog and make sure they get exercise and are fed daily. When my sister, Keri Anne, was 12 she really wanted a dog. My parents required her to pay for all of the dog’s expenses and be totally responsible for his care. Vet bills can be expensive and she has had to work hard to earn the money to care for him. When we go on vacation she has to find someone to take care of him while we’re gone. When he gets sick or has an ear infection she has to take him to the vet and remember to give him his medicine. Being responsible for your dog also includes proper behavioral training. Cesar Millan says, “In the absence of a clear leader, a dog, even a submissive one, will seek to fill what they see as the vacant leadership role. The dog will ignore the owner, act out, and can lead to serious behavior issues.” It’s important to be your dogs pack leader and treat them as a dog and not like a four legged human. Being responsible for your dog can help prepare you for greater responsibilities. Even though having a dog is a lot of hard work the reword of unconditional love and friendship is worth the work. Taking care of a dog can be a great way to work together as a family.
I hope I have opened your eyes to see that having a dog is a great experience for many people. As you can see there are many ways dogs can positively affect your life and here are my three main points once again by providing unconditional love and friendship, assisting you and giving you an opportunity to learn responsibility. It’s not always a walk in the park, but if dogs are trained the right way and are exercised daily they can become a great companion that can positively affect your life.

Back to top Go down
Tiffany Farrell

Tiffany's speech Empty
PostSubject: Tiffany's Speech edited the second time.   Tiffany's speech EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 11:09 am

In one of my favorite books “Because of Winnie-Dixie” author Kate DiCamillo tells of a pastor’s daughter named Opal who doesn't have any friends or siblings and whose mother has left the family. One day on an errand to the grocery store, Opal finds a stray dog in the produce department. After realizing that the dog would be sent to the pound she claims him as her dog and names him after the grocery store, Winn-Dixie. He provides friendship to Opal and she learns lessons and responsibility by taking care of him. She gets a part time job at a pet store to help take care of Winn-Dixie. Opal has to deal with Winn-Dixie’s phobia of thunder and teach him obedience so that he can follow her to church and into town. I can relate to this story because I’ve always wanted a dog that I can rely on and go to for comfort. Whenever I’m having a really bad day, and I go outside to cool of and the first thing I see when I go outside is my sisters dog Duke wagging his tail, he’s always ready to go on a walk with me and cheer me up whenever I need it. In this speech I will discuses of three main points that dogs can positively affect your life first they can provide unconditional love to their owners, second dogs can assist you in many ways, and third they are a great opportunity to teach young people responsibility. Today I will tell about personal stories and of other people that have had a dog positively affect their life.

One of the ways dogs can positively affect your life is by providing unconditional love and friendship.
Japan’s state dog is an Akita, named Hachiko. His master was Professor Eisaburo Ueno. Everyday he rode a train to work and Hachiko went with him to the train station. And everyday when the professor came back Hachiko would always be there to greet him when he came off the train. One day Professor Eisaburo died at work and never returned to the train station. Hachiko went to the station everyday waiting for his master, but he was never there. Hachiko did this everyday for eight years until he died. Today there is a statue of Hachiko that reminds the Japanese of the dog that gave unconditional love to his master. This is just one of the many stories that shows friendship between a master and his dog. Dogs don’t care if you are rich or poor, beautiful or plain, young or old, sick or healthy, they just want to be your unconditional friend. You don’t have to worry about trying to impress your dog or even being a perfect master. They are very forgiving and don’t hold grudges. When you have a hard time making friends you can always count on your dog!

Another way dogs can positively affect your life is by providing assistance with special needs.
Dogs can be trained to serve in many ways. Service dogs can be used for people in wheelchairs, those who are blind or deaf, and people that have seizures. Rescue teams also use professionally trained dogs to assist them. Chris Hyatt is a forty-two year old quadriplegic from Austin, Texas who has a service dog named JJ. He assists Chris by picking up dropped items, opening and closing doors, and keeping him active and social. Chris says that his life has been drastically improved by having JJ. The news is filled with stories of dogs that have saved their master’s life. Dogs are very loyal and protective and are happy serving their master. Dogs can be difficult to deal with if you are not allowing them to fulfill their needs to serve also Cesar Millan a famous dog trainer who has written many books on dog training and has his own television show ivies that you should give your dog a job. “Having a task to focus on can help tremendously. Hyperactivity can come from psychological needs as easily as it can from physical needs. By giving your dog a job to do, you are removing him from his state of hyperactivity and redirecting his energy elsewhere.” Allowing your dog to serve you keeps them healthy and happy. While providing you with a much needed service.
Learning responsibility is another positive affect of having a dog. Your dog is solely dependent on you for all of their needs. You have to plan your day around the needs of your dog and make sure they get exercise and are fed daily. When my sister, Keri Anne, was 12 she really wanted a dog. My parents required her to pay for all of the dog’s expenses and be totally responsible for his care. Keri Anne soon realizes that vet bills can be expensive and she has had to work hard to earn the money to care for him. When we go on vacation she has to find someone to take care of him while we’re gone. When he gets sick or has an ear infection she has to take him to the vet and remember to give him his medicine. Being responsible for your dog also includes proper behavioral training. Cesar Millan ivies, “In the absence of a clear leader, a dog, even a submissive one, will seek to fill what they see as the vacant leadership role. The dog will ignore the owner, act out, and can lead to serious behavior issues.” It’s important to be your dogs pack leader and treat them as a dog and not like a four legged human.
Being responsible for your dog can help prepare you for greater responsibilities. Even though having a dog is a lot of hard work the reword of unconditional love and friendship is worth the work. Taking care of a dog can be a great way to work together as a family.
I hope I have opened your eyes to see that having a dog is a great experience for many people. As you can see there are many ways dogs can positively affect your life and here are my three main points once again by providing unconditional love and friendship, assisting you and giving you an opportunity to learn responsibility. Owning a dog is not always a walk in the park it takes work money and time, but if dogs are trained the right way and are exercised daily they can become a great companion that can positively affect your life.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tiffany's speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tiffany's speech   Tiffany's speech Empty

Back to top Go down

Tiffany's speech
Page 1 of 1