Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Carl

Carl

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative Empty
PostSubject: Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative   Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 2:06 pm

Idealism and pragmatism need each other

Though pragmatism without idealism is useless, idealism without pragmatism is useless. We must use practical ways to achieve our ideals. Without pragmatism, we can not achieve our ideals. Just try building a house without any tools. You need tools, pragmatism, to get the house, the ideal. Without tools, you can not get the house, and without pragmatism, you can not get ideals. We must use practical, working ways to achieve our goals.

Pragmatism is not the convenient way

My opponent stated earlier that pragmatism is inconsistent; however, this is inaccurate. Pragmatism is the practical was to achieve goals. As my opponent *If needed* Merriam-Webster defines it as “a practical approach to problems and affairs.” * Definitely, this is not always convenient to be practical. From the definition, we can see how pragmatism is practical; the definition states nothing about being easy or convenient. (Attack AFF argument, and support)
Back to top Go down
Carl

Carl

PostSubject: Re: Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative   Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 3:16 pm

This was a hard brief, and it is not done. Please Help me with this one.
Is Pragmatism Inconsistent?
My opponent stated earlier that pragmatism is inconsistent; however, this is inaccurate. Pragmatism is the practical was to achieve goals. As my opponent *If needed* Merriam-Webster defines it as “a practical approach to problems and affairs.” * Pragmatism is the practical was to achieve goals, or ideals. It is only when pragmatism is working towards inconsistent ideals, that pragmatism is inconsistent. For instance, while the battle in the pacific raged, the US decided that people of Japanese decent were a threat to national security, and came up with a very practical solution to this “problem.” They imprisoned all Japanese-Americans in internment camps, and held them there until the end of the war, violating their Human Rights. Pragmatism was working toward national security, which was valued above human rights. The pragmatism did its job, and achieved national security. At the time, this was the best way to achieve national security. But the value, national security, compromised another value, Human Rights.
Back to top Go down
James C.

James C.

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative   Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Quote :
This was a hard brief, and it is not done. Please Help me with this one.

This is my brief against that argument.

My opponent has said that pragmatism is inconsistent. This is incorrect; pragmatism is flexible.

a. Idealism is consistent, but it is unchangeably consistent.
b. Pragmatism has the ability to be flexible, and always make the beneficial choice.
c. Idealism will always follow its ideal, even if it is not advantageous to do so.
Back to top Go down
Adam Sprecher

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative   Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Seems to me like pragmatism is consistently inconsistent...

This is what I think: it really just depends on what your saying pragmatism is consistent in regards to. For example, you could say pragmatism is consistently practical: that would be true. On the other hand, you could say pragmatism is inconsistent in the pursuit of an ideal, because when using pragmatism no one ideal is ever really held to be consistently preeminent. Pragmatism IS inconsistent if you are solely talking about pursuing an ideal, because pursuing that ideal is not necessarily always the most practical thing to do. What i'm saying is that if you were pursuing a value (justice, for example), you would have to make some temporarily impractical sacrifices to eventually reach that value. That's why pragmatism is inconsistent in pursuit of a goal.

And James, isn't saying that pragmatism is flexible basically just a nicer sounding way of saying that it is inconsistent? Also, you say that pragmatism always makes the beneficial choice. Yeah, i'd agree if we were simply talking about practical solutions. But if we were talking about the long term pursuit of a goal/ideal, I wouldn't agree (and your opponent wouldn't agree) that pragmatism always makes a beneficial choice towards that purpose.

So there are my thoughts....
Back to top Go down
Carl

Carl

PostSubject: Re: Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative   Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 11:24 am

Let's try this one out...

My opponent stated earlier that pragmatism is inconsistent; however, though this may be true, it is not a bad thing. Pragmatism is the practical was to achieve goals. As my opponent *If needed* Merriam-Webster defines it as “a practical approach to problems and affairs.” * So, Pragmatism is the practical was to achieve goals, or ideals. Compact Oxford English Dictionary defines Practical as likely to be effective in real circumstances; feasible. Pragmatism is flexible to changing situations. The practical way to achieve goals is always changing, for our environment, and culture is always changing. Pragmatism adjusts to still be practical in different situations. And since the practical way is likely to be effective, it is a good thing to stay practical. Therefore pragmatism adjusting to be practical is not a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
Carl

Carl

PostSubject: Re: Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative   Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 11:41 am

If you're not pursuing an ideal there's no point to life

While this may be true, Pragmatism is the practical pursuit of ideals, because of a lack of ideals. Practicality is defined by Compact Oxford English Dictionary as likely to be effective in real circumstances; feasible. Pragmatism is practical—most likely to word—way of achieving ideals. So while if you're not pursuing an ideal there's no point to life may be true, Pragmatism is the practical pursuit of ideals, and is the pursuit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative   Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative Empty

Back to top Go down

Carl's Wonderful Negative Briefs to Defeat the Affirmative
Page 1 of 1