Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speak Out NC

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Samuel Johnson's Cross Ex Questions

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Samuel Johnson

Samuel Johnson

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Samuel Johnson's Cross Ex Questions Empty
PostSubject: Samuel Johnson's Cross Ex Questions   Samuel Johnson's Cross Ex Questions EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 4:01 pm

These are my current negative Cross Ex's, all of them are set up so that whichever way the opponent answers, I can continue down my line of reasoning. I tried to make sure they all end either with my opponent saying something untenable, or else agreeing with me.

I apologize for the format, in Word I have them tabbed over to represent the different "trees" of questions, but apparently this forum doesn't retain formatting from word.

Negative Questions:

Do you agree that if something violates Human Rights it is not moral?
1.Yes---Do you agree we should uphold Human Rights?
1a.Yes---End Line of Questioning
1b.No----If we do not uphold Human Rights, are we not allowing them to be violated?
2.No----So you believe that an action can violate Human rights and still be moral?

Do you agree that a goal’s value lies in completing the goal?
1.Yes---Do you agree that pragmatism can help us complete a goal?
1b.No----So you think pragmatism can never help us achieve our goals?
2.No----Then do you think that a goal has value outside of any actual effect that it has on people’s lives?
2a.Yes---So you agree that even if following an ideal will not have a positive benefit, we should still follow that ideal?
2b.No----Then you do agree that the worth of a goal lies in completing the goal?

Do you agree we cannot always complete our goals?
1.Yes---Do you agree that we should approach our goals in a manner which makes us most likely to complete them?
1b.No----So you believe we should not focus our efforts on the goals which we are most likely to achieve?
2.No----So you believe we can always complete our ideals?
2a.Yes---End Line of Questioning
2b.No----Do you agree that we should focus upon those goals which we are most likely to achieve?

Do you agree that to protect our rights sometimes we must take a practical approach?
1.Yes---So you agree that pragmatism can be used to defend our rights?
2.No----Do you think taking a practical approach never helps us defend our rights?
2a.Yes---So you think that pragmatism is wholly useless for defending our rights in all situations?
2b.No----So you agree that a practical approach can help defend our rights?

Do you agree that the convenient way is not always practical in the long term?
1.Yes---Since pragmatism is focused on what works, do you agree that pragmatism does not inherently tend towards the convenient way if it will have negative consequences later?
1b.No----Does your definition specifically state that pragmatism is only interested in the short term?
1ba.Yes---I have yet to see a definition which says this, so avoid this question if they do. Otherwise, ask for them to restate the definition then move to the "No" question.
1bb.No----Do you agree that pragmatism is not only interested in the short term?

2.No----Do you agree that the convenient way is always practical in the long term?
2a.Yes---End Line of Questioning
2b.No----Then do you agree that the convenient way is not always practical in the long term?
2ba.Yes---Then since pragmatism is focused on results, do you agree that pragmatism does not inherently tend towards the convenient way if it will have negative long term consequences?
2baa.Yes---End Line of Questioning
2bab.No----Does your definition specifically state that pragmatism is only interested in the short term?
2baba.Yes---I have yet to see a definition which says this, so avoid this question if they do. Otherwise, ask for them to restate the definition then move to the "No" question.
2babb.No----Do you agree that pragmatism is not only interested in the short term?
2bb.No----End Line of Questioning

Any comments on something to improve upon are welcome!
Back to top Go down

Samuel Johnson's Cross Ex Questions
Page 1 of 1